Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation-driven surface?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
88nwilson
5914 Views, 4 Replies

Equation-driven surface?

I'm looking for a way to make a simple 3-D, equation driven surface. z=sin(x)+sin(y), basically.

Is this possible? If there's not an explicit tool, can anyone conceive a workaround?

Inventor 2013
Win 7 Pro SP1 (x64)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: 88nwilson

This might give you a start.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5
glenn-chun

@88nwilson wrote:

I'm looking for a way to make a simple 3-D, equation driven surface. z=sin(x)+sin(y), basically.

Is this possible? If there's not an explicit tool, can anyone conceive a workaround?

Sweep a sine wave along another sine wave, using the Parallel orientation.

When you create an equation curve on a 2D sketch, it is important to make the 2D sketch fully constrained.  I added a coincident constraint between the projected origin and the sine wave, and a couple of tangent constraints between the sine wave and horizontal lines.  There are two user parameters that I added: length_hori and length_verti.

sine_curve.png

You should not use the default orientation for sweep since it would produce a wrong shape in this case.  The parallel sweep (aka rigid sweep) will create a "summation surface" of the profile and path curves.

parallel_sweep.png

sin(x)+sin(y)Example1.png

Changing the user parameters will update the sweep surface.  Unlike the previous example, the parameter length_hori is not a multiple of PI this time.

sin(x)+sin(y)Example2.png

Attached is an Inventor 2013 model.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

ASM Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 4 of 5
88nwilson
in reply to: glenn-chun

RDyson, I wasn't able to open the file- it said your database system was newer.

Glenn, great workaround. I had tried similar, but with a solid sweep and path-driven, and it just didn't quite work the same. Very cool how the surface sweep behaves.

Thanks both. RDyson, I wouldn't mind a screenshot or two if yours was a different method.

Inventor 2013
Win 7 Pro SP1 (x64)
Message 5 of 5
rdyson

Nope, same as Glenn.
It helps to include your IV version to avoid getting help you can't open.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report