Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation curves

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PiotrekL1
2945 Views, 4 Replies

Equation curves

Hi

I found tutorial for symmetrical equation curve for NACA Airfouil in Inventor 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSBe9hImTE

I need to create assymentric airfoil. I am wondering if there is a possibility to put equation in Inventor which looks like the one I attached in doc file.

If it is not possible that's OK as I can use coordinate generator in the internet and put coordinates into inventor so I can draw it but It would be nice to put set of the equations rather than manually put 100 points. 

I know that those equations are more complicated and I don't know how to start with them in Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pcrawley
in reply to: PiotrekL1

I'm not in front of Inventor right now, so can't check the syntax for the equation curve editor - but I would say "yes", this is possible.  For now, I'd just recommend inserting points from Excel.  Inventor will draw a spline through the imported points for you - it's like the poor-mans Equation curve editor!  Have a look at the expanded tool-tip for the format of the Excel sheet.  (It's on the Sketch > Insert panel.)

Peter
Message 3 of 5
PiotrekL1
in reply to: pcrawley

Hi

I will follow your advise. I will generate coordinates in the NACA tool and put then through MS Excel into inventor

Thank you very much

Message 4 of 5
hanson.alex
in reply to: PiotrekL1

Been working on this to...

My end goal is to have an assembly with n number of NACA 4 digit (and others) profiles. This will allow the user to quickly develop a surface model to export to a CFD program.

Parameters to control (between each section):

• Sweep
  • sweep
  • dihedral angle
  • span
  • twist

Parameters to control (For each section):

• NACA Type
  • NACA Parameters
  • Camber length

Step 1: Developing NACA 4 digit profiles

Approach 1: Sketch Equation Curve

Following equitation on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_airfoil, I was successfully able to develop the mean camber line (with two different equation curves). While trying to add the equations for the top and bottom of the profile, I ran into many issues most of which resolved after time, although not all.

Problem(s):

1.  The parametric equations are not fixed in space (i.e.. you can drag them around) and I have not been able to successfully relate all 6 curves, trailing edge, and leading edge (approx. as a circle).
  2. The beginning of the forward curves approach div by zero and are as such not useful.
  3. Very cumbersome, extremely hard to use and error prone.

Approach 2: Thickness Circles + mean camber line = Spline (kinda)

Using my sucsessful mean camber line, I added 10 circles along the mean camber line and demendsioned their linear poisiton along the mean cambber line using the x_u parametric equations, and their heigth demension from the x-axis using the y_u parametric equations.

Problem(s):

1. After passing the max mean camber position, things started going badly. It turns out that inventor was not parsing the equations correctly. This could be a program or user error, the jury is out on that one. See post here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Demension-Copy-Parse-Error/m-p/3920847 
  2. Cumbersome (seeing a trend here). While I could type all the equation in the tiny window and get it work corretly, I feel I have better things to do in my life, and there is probably a better approach.

Propossed Approach 1: iRule/iLogic/API

The title is garbled because I don't know enough about each of those, but my preliminary research shows this may be the correct approach. The plan is to create a set of point using the parametric equations to define a spline.

If anyone has any questions/comments/advise please let me know.

Message 5 of 5
mda2249
in reply to: hanson.alex

stumbled here a bunch of times while trying to solve this same issue. here's what I got future inventor NACA 4 digit problem solvers:

download octave. the free version of matlab.

run this script: (which I found onine and modified for me 🙂 

%octave script airfoil

clear all
clc
c=1; %put yo chord length here
s=num2str(4424); %put yo digits here
NACA=s; %4 digits
d1=str2double(s(1)); % pulls the first digit out of the scalar
d2=str2double(s(2));% pulls the second digit out of the scalar
d34=str2double(s(3:4)); % pulls the third and fourth digit out of the scalar
m=d1/100;
p=d2/10;
t=d34/100;
x=linspace(0, c, 500);
yt =5*t*c*(.2969*(sqrt(x/c))+-.1260*(x/c)+-.3516*(x/c).^2+.2843*(x/c).^3+-.1015*(x/c).^4);
for k = 1:length(x)
if x(k) <= p*c
yc(k)=m*(x(k)/p^2)*(2*p-(x(k)/c));
dx(k)=(2*m)/p^2*(p-(x(k)/c));
elseif x(k) > p*c
yc(k)=m*((c-x(k))/(1-p)^2)*(1+(x(k)/c)-(2*p));
dx(k)=((2*m)/(1-p)^2)*(p-(x(k)/c));
end
%upper and lower limits of the airfoil (xu,yu) ; (xl,yl)
theta=atan(dx(k));
xu(k)=x(k)-yt(k)*sin(theta);
yu(k)=yc(k)+yt(k)*cos(theta);
xl(k)=x(k)+yt(k)*sin(theta);
yl(k)=yc(k)-yt(k)*cos(theta);
end
%plot of airfoil
plot(xu,yu)
hold on
plot(xl,yl,'r')
plot(x,yc,'g')
axis equal

cd("C:/Users/Marlon Alessandra/Desktop/Marlon's files/Octave/airfoil")   %put yor path to save the file here the quotations sometimes give an error so try mod them first

d=[xu xl];
e=[yu yl];
f=[d;e];

dlmwrite('airfoil_matrix.txt',f',':')

A) modify script values to reflect the NACA values.

b) modify script for where to save the points.

.... now you can place the file in excel.. the dilimieaters are : and ;

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums