Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equation curve irregular at parameter value 0

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
elanzel
2563 Views, 21 Replies

Equation curve irregular at parameter value 0

I'm trying to create the involute of a circle using an equation curve.  The equation works fine except when tmin = 0.  I get a error that says the curve is irregular at parameter value 0.000000 (see below).  Has anyone else seen this error and/or found a solution to it?

Irregular.PNG

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
johnsonshiue
in reply to: elanzel

Hi! I have seen this behavior before. The error is due to the fact that there is a singularity at 0. The workaround is to set the lower bound to a small non-zero value like 0.00001.

In the meantime, I will take a look at the equation closer and see if the singularity is indeed unrepresentable.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 22
ravikmb5

Equation Curve For Involute

Sometimes it works

sometimes it will not

involute curve.png

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 4 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! I have plugged in the formula and range to create a EDC. Indeed, tmin = 0 is possibly causing geometric problem to create a valid sketch curve. I am able to get past the error by setting timin = 0.0004. I can forward it to development and see if there is anything we can improve.

Many thanks for reporting!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 22
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ravikmb5

Hi! The equation in the image is a bit too small for me to read. Could you post the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 22
elanzel
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for the response.  A small tmin value will work for what I'm trying to do but it is kind of frustrating since I could do this is solidworks with no problem.

SW Involute.jpg

Message 7 of 22
ravikmb5

its work in inventor as well

basically in solidworks and pro-e the equation entered in

x(t) and y(t) is always in radians

but in inventor t value will be either in degrees or radians based on part units

attached is the model which is made in Inventor 2015

And major problem with Inventor tmin wont start at 0

tmin to be kept at 0.004

Calculations Spur Gear.png

Spur Gear Final1.png

involute equation.png

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 8 of 22

There is no singularity in this equation for t=0. As you can see from the equation there is no division and thus no division by zero is possible. I have found the smallest value to avoid the false positive error is 0.0000115 ul. Very disappointing from a very expensive program. 

Message 9 of 22

Hi! I am very sorry that this particular case does not work as it should. Indeed, this is not a singularity issue. This is about how 2D/3D sketch handles 2nd or 3rd derivative. We have been investigating a solution but so far, we still do not have a safe solution yet. If there is any progress, I will let you know.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 22

Hi,

I'm having the same issues as the OP. This in Inventor HSM Pro 2016 - Student Version.

Is there any development on this..?

Message 11 of 22

Hi! Is your equation the exact same as the OP's? If not, could you post the file here or send it to me directly? I would like to understand the behavior better since your issue may not be the same as the OP's. Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 22

It is, actually.

I'm only now starting to seriously play with Inventor and trying to find best practices and such. I've had a lot of time on both Creo Parametric and Solidworks at school so I'm still finding my feet here...

Message 13 of 22
drdlboyd

I am having a similar problem when attempting to create an Archimedean spiral.

This works:

Capture1.PNG

Yet this does not:

Capture2.PNG

Message 14 of 22
JDMather
in reply to: drdlboyd

What is the tolerance of your manufacturing process for this part?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 15 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! May I ask what release of Inventor are you using?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 22
drdlboyd
in reply to: JDMather

The part will be 3D printed in ceramic so we're hoping for maybe a couple hudredths of a mm on wall thicknesses of about 0.75 mm.  The problem is that any value less than .0100000000000000019 causes the error.  This means that I cannot get spacing between successive turnings to be less than about 3.6 mm.

Message 17 of 22
drdlboyd

Message 18 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! For this case, you might consider starting t from a non-zero value like 0.000001 ul. It should allow the curve to be created. There is a known problem on handling the derivatives at zero. The issue has been resolved on Inventor 2017.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 22
drdlboyd

The problem still occurs even at much larger values of t.  Here I started t at 1 and it occured for r(t)=t*0.009 or less.

Capture3.PNG

Message 20 of 22
mjguillot

I am having this problem also.I am trying to put in an equation for an ellipse parametrically as x=0.1*cos(t), y=0.2*sin(t), 0<t<90. I am using version 2015. The model is a mm part. I get the same error. There is no way the parametric equation editor should choke on this equation. This is an obvious major bug in the parametric equation editor. Has Autodesk fixed this yet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report