Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equal sides

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
gryles
660 Views, 11 Replies

equal sides

Hi

I have a .ipt file attached of a shape in which the shape is correct except i cannot get the 4 sides all to meaure 40mm..2 sides measure approx. 26mm and the other 2 sides approx. 55mm...how do i work out the correct angles to get all 4 sides to measure 40mm or is there a better way to achieve the 40mm sides...

Kind Regards

GRyles

Inventor 2012
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MikahB
in reply to: gryles

The root of your problem is the definition of your work plane - the angle of that plane will determine the relative lengths of the sides.  Draw a sketch on the front of your block with a line dimensioned as shown and then create a workplane using that line and a point constrained to it's centerpoint (or either end - doesn't matter.

Then you'll have to project that same point onto the cut profile sketch and dimension from there.  See attached.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 3 of 12
gryles
in reply to: MikahB

Hi Mikah

Thanks

I had a go using your attached picture.I attached the .ipt file ..i did not get the sides to 40mm but i did get them much closer then first attempt..is there something i have missed or made a mistake

Kind Regards

GRyles

Inventor 2012
Message 4 of 12
ravikmb5

check this2027i455E08B24349F619

Please mark this response as Problem Solved if it answers your question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ravi Kumar MB,
i7 860 Dell Studio XPS Win 7 64 bit 12 Gb RAM & HP Z220 SFF Workstation
Autodesk Inventor Certified professional 2016
Email: ravikmb5@gmail.com

Message 5 of 12
gryles
in reply to: ravikmb5

Thanks Ravikmb5

Yes they are 40mm sides except there should be a slope above the 4 cuts and not flat

thanks for the help

GRyles

Inventor 2012
Message 6 of 12
MikahB

You are close - the only thing you need to do is delete the 53.319mm dimension in this sketch and, instead, add a coincident constraint between the point you projected and the line the 53.319 dimension locates (see green arrows).  Then you can adjust your dimensions in the first sketch (the two 20mm values) to achieve whatever length you want on the sides.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 7 of 12
gryles
in reply to: MikahB

Much appreciatecd Mikah

GRyles

Inventor 2012
Message 8 of 12
IgorMir

I can not see the actual part ( I am with IV2010) but it seems pretty trivial part to model. At least by the look at the picture provided. Here it is the part in IV2010.

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 9 of 12
gryles

Hi Igor

That is good...thank you and appreciated....the only step i need to change is where the Revolution 1 uses a curved sketch i need it to be straight line...if using a straight line instead of the curved line will all the steps you use still work?

Again thanks

GRyles

Inventor 2012
Message 10 of 12
IgorMir

Hi,

Since I don't know the exact design intent - here is an iPart which documents some possible scenarios. I think the member Part1-03 ( I left it Active) reflects what you are after.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Message 11 of 12
gryles

Hi Igor

That is what i am looking for.Thank you and appreciated

Greg

Inventor 2012
Message 12 of 12
IgorMir

Hi Greg,

I am glad it worked for you!

Best Regards,

Igor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report