Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering a sketch, rotation of the canvas

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
akillion
447 Views, 5 Replies

Entering a sketch, rotation of the canvas

I have a question regarding sketches. When I open up a sketch on the xy plane, the sketch is created normally as I would expect, but when I open up a sketch on the xz or yz plane my canvas is rotated either 90(YZ plane) or 180(XZ plane) degrees. This seems strange to me as when I use dynamic input my Y ends up being my X input while on the YZ plane. Is there any way to change this so that my sketch planes enter me into my Y being up and my Z being across and not rotating my views at all? It is not the end of the world obviously, but when this happens while trying to teach high school kids about multi view drawings and using the program it gets many of them confused and is a pain.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CCarreiras
in reply to: akillion

Hi!

I agree with you, it's really annoying!!

You can't avoid that on sketch creation, but after create the sketch, you can edit the coordinate system for further edits.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 6
CCarreiras

Hi!

After select the "Edit coordinate system", select Y in the triad and select the Y axis in the browser (origin Folder). The coordinates system will change.
Close/Open the sketch, and the coordinate system is as you want.

1.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 6
akillion

Thanks for the reply and help, boggles my mind that by default it does that when you enter a sketch. 

Message 5 of 6
CCarreiras

I think exist a topic about this issue already in the "Invention Idea Station" to be solved in the 2015 version.

You can go there and give a "kudos" to the topic.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 6 of 6
PaulMunford

I find that observing the UCS helps me to orientated myself. You can use the view cube to rotate your view.

I agree that it's annoying!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report