Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

engraving lines on a surface, please add to wish list.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
safiredesignengineers
2612 Views, 8 Replies

engraving lines on a surface, please add to wish list.

Hi Group

I posted something similar to this a couple of days ago but had no reply. I sometimes design items that need to be engraved, with shapes and text I have no issue as I can just extrude the items as a cut into the face it is being applied to, but if I have a detailed sketch made up of open lines and arcs, it becomes a pain to draw a little V and sweep it around each line detail.

This is for show purposes really as the 2d lines from the sketch are used by my cam software as they are, But I like to show my customers what they are getting.

Is there a way to simplify this, or can it be added to the wish list?

There must be many designers wanting to added engraved lines to models and in the ideal world it would be nice to select the sketch detail and extrude it down based on shape ( a 60 degree V in my case) set to a depth.

Regards

Adrian
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

The official wish list is over here http://www.augi.com

Can you attach an example here? I have a couple of ideas of how this might be automated given current tools.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Hi JD

I am just working on quite a complex design and it would be great to be able to simplify this. please find a simple example enclosed, (I have not constrained the sketch before you say) the idea is to engrave the lines into the top surface using a 60 degree V cutter to a depth of about 0.6mm.

The surface will not always be flat either.

So far I have done this by attaching a plane to each line and drawing the V shape and then sweep it along each line.

I am using inventor 2010

Thanks

Adrian
Message 4 of 9

>The surface will not always be flat either.

The example was too simple. I need a real part to bother to spend time on this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 9

Hi JD

I gave you a simple example to see what is possible, On this particular project I have been trying to get my dxf data into inventor 2010 but it hangs up because there is a lot of lines and arcs in the data, (I find inventor is not so good with importing complicated dxfs).

I recently installed a rhino converter which brings the data in easier, although i am still unsure on how to use it yet and it still gives me a lot of issues.

Please find attached a sample picture of what i am trying to do, I have a curved surface and I want to engrave the image of the violinist on it, I can do the engraving with no issue in my cam software. But what I want to do is be able to model up my design in inventor to show the client before manufacture.

This particular engraving is not ready for the job jet, and will probably need a bit of work on it. also the engravings will be single open lines and arcs most of the time not closed loops.

I did try to post the cad file but it is 3mb and too big to post.

If it takes loads of work just to proof the job it is a waste of time. I need to be able to quickly show the client what I am going to do.

What do you think?

Regards

Adrian
Message 6 of 9

>inventor 2010 but it hangs up because there is a lot of lines and arcs

Turn off autoconstrain endpoints.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

>If it takes loads of work just to proof the job it is a waste of time.

I had some ideas, but all would take a bit of time given available tools. (translation - when JD says a "bit of time" or "bit of work" expect a minimum of 6 hours of effort)

EESignature

Message 8 of 9

Hi JD

I can apreciate it is not easy, perhaps if a .Giff image with a transparent background could be used the decal tool will set the lines on the model which would represent the desired effect.
of if the emboss tool could use a .giff image with a transparent background it would be brilliant.

I need to play with the Rhino importer a bit more as I think this is the answer, I will try to bring in the embossed part from there.

Regards

Adrian
Message 9 of 9

Hi JD

Ok, I have looked but I can't find out where to turn off auto constrain, can ou point me in the right direction, please.

Regards

Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums