Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable BOM View?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
LT.Rusty
7861 Views, 4 Replies

Enable BOM View?

So there I was, adding a BOM to a drawing, and I clicked on the "BOM view must be enabled" prompt for about the 40,000th time in my Inventor career, and it finally occurred to me to wonder why.

Why do we have to enable the BOM view?  Is there a benefit to disabling it, or just not enabling it in the first place?  If I had the BOM view enabled but no parts list, would that cause a rift in reality through which would come the ravening sluagh or something?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious as to the intent behind this feature ...

Rusty

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi LT.Rusty,

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, you could edit your *.iam template(s) and go to the BOM editor and enable both the Structured and Parts Only views, and then save your assembly template(s) with the BOM views enabled, and then you wouldn't need to enable the BOM views each time you place a Parts List on a drawing.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5

There is no real issue here, and I know I could permanently enable whatever in my templates ... I'm just curious as to why there needed to be an enabled / disabled state in the first place.

It just seems to be much like the device pictured here:

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

@LT.Rusty wrote:

I'm just curious as to why there needed to be an enabled / disabled state in the first place.

Hi LT.Rusty,

Haveing both BOM views enabled does come with a "price" to performance, as Inventor is required to index both views when the drawing is brought up. This might not be an issue for many people, but for folks that work with large assemblies having the ability to enable only one of the BOM views can help considerably.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 5

Okay, that makes sense.  My idle curiosity has been - for the moment - satisfied.

Thanks!

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report