Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emboss function slows down my laptop?!

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
auto_pilot
1387 Views, 16 Replies

Emboss function slows down my laptop?!

I am using Inventor 2013, on a HP Elitebook 8570w. I suppose the spec should allow me to run inventor smoothly, but every time I use the emboss function, the laptop takes forever to edit sketch, dimensioning for the emboss. Could anyone please tell me if it's the issue of the laptop or the function?! Would really appreciate it.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
pcrawley
in reply to: auto_pilot

Much depends on the complexity of the sketch and the surface(s) you are embossing to.  Imported DXF or other CAD geometry in a sketch can often hold thousands of small line segments instead of arcs and circles - which can cause huge delays in an emboss.  If you try embossing something like this (or even a complex Inventor-created sketch onto a set of complex faces, it'll probably be even slower.

Alternatively, try my latest cure-all-slowness-issues by disabling Hyper-threading in the computers BIOS.

Peter
Message 3 of 17
auto_pilot
in reply to: pcrawley

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply.

I am only doing engraving on a simple extruded pipe, thus I didn't think it should slow me down. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Thanks very much.
Message 4 of 17
pcrawley

You could post your part file here?  I'm sure others will try it and let you know how fast it works for them.  

There might be something else causing the problem.

Peter
Message 5 of 17
auto_pilot

Hi Peter,

The file is nothing more than a simple pipe with words engraved around the surface, but it is 55Mb. So I couldn't upload it.Is it normal that an engraved part takes up a lot of memory on Inventor? Because I started a new file and drew a pipe and put some engravings, it gets very slow too.

I will upload a tril file soon

Thanks heaps!

Message 6 of 17
pcrawley

It's hard to know why it's so slow, but I suspect it's something simple like the font you are using.

There are a number of fonts that are nice and "square" (straight lines - no curves) - and then there are the "pretty" fonts that'll kill the performance of any machine when you start embossing.

Example of a good font would be Txt_IV25

Example of a bad font would be CityBlueprint

I just tried a sample of 4 letters embossed into a tube:

Using Txt_IV25 - filesize = 276kb

Using CityBlueprint - filesize = 500kb

Which fon't are you using and how much text are you trying to emboss?  If the file is 55MB, it sounds like a thesis written in CityBlueprint 😉

To reduce the filesize of a part, drag the "End of Part" marker up above the first feature and save it.

Peter
Message 7 of 17
BarryZA

As I understand it, emboss is by nature resource-hungry and best avoided unless necessary. Extrude is better.

Before I have offset/thickened my face with a surface at 1mm and then extruded between the 2 surfaces. Although this does alter the geometry slightly, as it does not wrap to the surface, but projects onto it. Then again, if you had to extrude between 2 surfaces with a taper on the extrude....

Or maybe do a 2d sketch with the letters and then do a 3d sketch and project the letters to the face, then thicken the letters. Crazy talk I know, I'll stop now.

Message 8 of 17
JDMather

auto_pilot wrote:

The file is nothing more than a simple pipe with words engraved around the surface, but it is 55Mb.   

I cannot imagine any single part file in Inventor that is "simple" and 55MB.
Did you roll up the EOP.

I rarely use Emboss - there is usually a better way.

Surley, surely,surely you an create a much more simple example file that exhibits what you are trying to do and attach it here.

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
pcrawley
in reply to: JDMather

Smiley Happy  I think that's the point... It's because it's 55MB it's sooooooo slow.  

If he submits a "simple" file - it'll be as quick as we know it should be.

Peter
Message 10 of 17
JDMather

@pcrawley wrote:

Smiley Happy  I think that's the point... It's because it's 55MB it's sooooooo slow.  

If he submits a "simple" file - it'll be as quick as we know it should be.

..............Then I can demonstrate how I would do the part to speed things up.
As it is, I can only guess what might be done.  Not even a screen capture....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 11 of 17
auto_pilot

Hey Peter,

I am using Tahoma 4mm for some warning signs on the pipe.

In all there are 5 engravings on the pipe, it reads the following on each end, and the other 3 engravings would have similar amount of words.

WARNING - DO NOT OPEN WHEN ENERGIZED OR
WHEN AN EXPLOSIVE ATMOSPHERE IS PRESENT

RETAINING SCREWS x 3:
M8 x 1.25 - 6H - 12.0mm LONG HEXAGON SOCKET
SET SCREW CUP POINT ISO 4029
STAINLESS STEEL 316L
PART NUMBER: 20086

That's awesome advice of moving the "End of Part" up. Thanks heaps

Message 12 of 17
pcrawley

Haha!  There's your answer - it's an embossed essay!

I would create that as a label in Photoshop (or GIMP of you don't have the budget for Photoshop) and stick it on using the Decal tool in Inventor.

Alternatively, try the suggested font in my previous post and see how the file size drops.

Either way - that's a lot of text to cut into a cylindrical face.  I'm not surprised it's slow.

Peter
Message 13 of 17
auto_pilot
in reply to: JDMather

I have rolled up the EOP and saved it, and the size dropped down to 6Mb.

And I even rolled up more to just the extrusion and it is still 6Mb, while I try to do a trial one, it's only 66kb. Maybe I should start a new model.

Is there any other way I can upload the massive file so we could find out what's wrong with it?

Thank you very much for all the advice.

Message 14 of 17
auto_pilot

oh..sorry I didn't realise that emboss eats up so much memory.

Thank you very much for the advice. I guess I am gonna try the decal option.

I have rolled the EOP up and it's still 6Mb.

Thank you so much again.

Tracy

Message 15 of 17
pcrawley

The answer really is "too much text".

If you really want to upload it, delete all the emboss features and leave the sketches.  At this point, save it and have a look at the files size.  (I think it'll be a bit less than 50+MB.)  Move the EOP up and save it.  You can probably upload it now.

Peter
Message 16 of 17
auto_pilot

Thanks Peter. I won't need to upload it again. But good advice

Message 17 of 17
JDMather

All I needed was one word of text to show how I would do it without Emboss, but I wanted to see if you had a "curve ball" in there that could not use my technique.  I wasn't expecting all of the text.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report