Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emboss error; topology change??

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
im.cata
2658 Views, 13 Replies

Emboss error; topology change??

I'm trying to emboss a sketch to a lofted body. The same schetch is embossed perfectly on  a flat/round/extruded/chamfered body, but on this particular lofted body I get an error ("Thicken operation would result in a large topoloogy change. Try with a smaller thickness"). I already tried with 0.01mm thickness and still not work. What could be the cause. (I'm using IV 2013)

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: im.cata

Something like this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

or maybe this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

...or this?

Message 5 of 14
im.cata

Brilliant! Thank you very much for all your answers. That's exactly what I was looking for. I don't know the functionality of the split tool yet , so I'll do my best in trying to understand what u have done there. What's with the green splash?

Again thank you for the solution.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

hello,

I think I am facing similar problem. I need to model bent sheet metal (imagine section of cylinder) with text cut out of it(projected to surface-cylinder). The text is formatted in Illustrator. I resaved it in Autocad, imported in inventor, and the problems appeared: import of dwg was not working, then I found workaround using copy/paste from autocad. it finally opened, but it is very slow to view the part since. I guess there is too much and/or dirty geometry (the text is outlined).

then I tried to use Emboss, which works only If I select only few characters. If more, it says similar error as original founder of this question.

then I tried to add subdivision to the model using Split tool. If I attempt to Emboss again (with project to surface), it says it produces no meaningfull results, or No faces found to project selected entities, try reversing the direction or moving selected entities - which doesn't make sense, nor it works.

If I try to emboss with the project to surface switched off, it works flawlessly.

I also tried to project the curves (outlined text) on the surface using 3d sketch, it worked, but I do not know how to proceed to cut with it.

I know it is maybe a rookie question, but I have nowhere else to look. Or the whole process is wrong? should I try punch? Any help would be much appreciated!

thank you!

Message 7 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

.... Or the whole process is wrong? ...

Attach your *.ipt file here and end all doubt.

Message 8 of 14

The green splash looks like JD changed the face's color to illustrate the area he bounded in by creating a new sketch surrounding the art.  He made an additional split, which controls how far the offset surfaces that were created next were allowed to go.  You can change the surface colors back to whatever you want.

Stephen R.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

the surface is created by lofting two curves.

but no more words, here is the file before spliting with ofset planes.(since it did not helped)

Message 10 of 14
JDMather

Sketch1 is not fully constrained and has unnecessary repeated dimension.

Sketch2 is not fully constrained, sick (pink geometry and error message) and is unnecessary.  I will have to start over from scratch.

Lofted Flange is sick (i in circle) and should have been done with Contoured Flange instead of Lofted Flange.

Sketch3 is not fully constrained and has sick (pink) geometry.  I will have to start over from scratch.

Part shows Sheet Metal feature, but has been converted back to a standard part?

Cut1 is not correct for a sheet metal part. (side of cut not perpendicular to flat) 

I would probably not use Illustrator as my sketcher - I would certainly create more sketches rather than put too many splines in one sketch.  (Do you know the exact name of the Stencil font that you used in Illustrator?)

It may be a while till I can find time to do this part over from scratch.

iProperties indicates that you have not installed Service Packs and Updates for 2014.

I will have to walk you through this as I do not have 2014.

Sketch1.png

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

thank you very much!

I will try to follow the steps indicated. I know that there are lots of awkward moments in the model... It was redone few times (constant changes of the appereance) so I kind of lost track of many details. Some of the bad stuff could be mess from my uneducated attempts (and mostly because I am really Inventor rookie).

The reason why I use the Illustrator route is because it is the work of my collegue (graphic designer).

I have this custom made font, but he said it was fine tuned (kerning,...etc.) therefore I was not trying to convince Inventor to be also DTP software. 🙂

I could use the image as backdrop and manually place each word.. Which is not very convenient.

Sheet metal > yup, I started trying it from sheet. When I saw errors I tryed to run away from them.. :))

The result (If I will be able to get to it) will be used for cutting the letters with water jet from the sheet of bent stainless steel.

Another bothering moment is that the Inventor is on the computer which is not mine and is also not connected to the internet (=no updates).

I will start from scratch using contoured flange. how should I do cut1? then the text from illustrator should be avoided? Or divide it?

Thank you!

cheers!

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I tried to model from scratch using fully constrained sketch and contoured flange. then the imported dwg text in curves.

the errors are still the same. I am asked to change direction, or it is not able to produce maleable result.

so I guess the problem really lies in the imported text. since it is really hand-tuned I am considering trying another cad sw - I am not willing to create and move each character of that text individually along image of the original. I tried it and it works, but that is a lot of work which is not really necessary.

any thoughts? maybe text editing plugin for inventor?

thank you!

Message 13 of 14
rhinofx27
in reply to: im.cata

I'm having similar issues. The difference in the issues I'm having is I've used the split body command to project the sketch i made to the body and shown in the screenshot. you can see in the shot that i have used the push pull on this to create a "debossed" look of the sketch on the curved part of the body. In the zoomed out shot you can see that i made it part most of the way through and now I'm getting the "the operation would cause large topology change" error as shown in the screenshot. None of the rest of the sketch can be debossed. is it due to the file size getting too large? i cant seem to figure out what the issue is when the rest of the sketch worked fine. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Message 14 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: rhinofx27

You have posted in the Inventor forum.

The Fusion 360 forum is over here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report