Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ellipsoid shape

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
damian__s
591 Views, 4 Replies

ellipsoid shape

Hi

What would be a more ideal way to create this shape.It is ellipsoid shape.I could not think of a way to make it properly.This is the shape needed except it has noticable edges.What should be used so it is all smooth and correctly made shape

Inventor 2014

Damian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: damian__s

I would not be happy with that result.

Some months ago a similar problem was posted here by a former SolidWorks user trying to reproduce a SWx sweep  technique in Inventor.  I spent some time on this and came up with what I thought was an elegant Inventor Loft solution to the problem.  But just did a search and cannot locate the thread.  I have to get some other work done - maybe you can search and find the reference.

Check the last post in this thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Is-it-possible-to-sweep-an-elipse-shape/td-p/3005432/...

but the solution I derived was more recent - in the last 12 months.

Also - for your flange - keep in mind that there are two solutions for an Offset ellipse, a true mathematical ellipse (I don't think that is what you want) and an equidistant offset curve.  See

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Tip 31 pg 12

There is something wrong with your Sketch 6 - the ellipse axis is not horizontal and vertical.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
coreyparks

Would something like the attached file look/work better?

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Attached is an attempt using Loft to create the shape (BP to create rails easily). There are other ways to create the same geometry. Sometimes Loft and BP are interchangeable, though they use completely different algorithm to compute. As long as the shape satisfies the constraints (sections and rails), using which command is personal choice.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
damian__s
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for all the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report