Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical component with multiple connector directions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
hbelch
1082 Views, 5 Replies

Electrical component with multiple connector directions

Hi,

I am trying to create an electrical component which has wire connections in multiple directions, I have reviewed the tutorials, but find no instruction on how to do this.

I have created the parts and added pin groups, but cannot figure out how to have wire connections on different faces (and different directions)...

I am sure it is simple, but have had no luck yet...

Any advice would be helpful,

Thanks,

H.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: hbelch

When you author the connector simply pick insulation displacement instead of crimp for the termination type..Then select the both ways icon right under that..

Simple 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
Genicee
in reply to: mcgyvr

Old topic but maybe I am missing something. Is there a way to have multiple pins on a connector and they all travel in different directions? Basically all wires leaving a selected pin are leaving perpendicular to whatever surface I select.

Message 4 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: Genicee

@Genicee wrote:

Old topic but maybe I am missing something. Is there a way to have multiple pins on a connector and they all travel in different directions? Basically all wires leaving a selected pin are leaving perpendicular to whatever surface I select.

@Genicee Inventors cable/harness module does not have the ability to work with anything more than a single outward direction vector (forward/backwards along a single line)..

Crimp selection type only allows 1 direction (forward or backwards along that line)..

Insulation displacement allows 2 directions (forward AND backwards along that line)..

There isn't a way to have forward/backwards and left and right.. (2 vectors)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr

@Genicee However.. Having said that its certainly possible to make a connector assembly in which multiple directions  (multiple vectors) are present but not in a single part file..

I suspect that whatever connector you are trying to use should be done as an assembly and not just a single part file.. 

Do you have an example of what you are trying to do in which you need wires to exit at multiple directions?

I can show you how it should be modeled..

Message 6 of 6
hbelch

Hello,

Sorry, I just noticed the responses, I had solved the problem that same week by doing what you said, I separated the connector parts from the main body of the electronic device (which was a single part file) and broke it into several parts to create an assembly file with each individual connector as a part in the assembly file. This solved the issue.

Thank you very much for your excellent replies.

H.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report