Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDM with Inventor files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
balfrey
241 Views, 3 Replies

EDM with Inventor files

I have a standalone electronic document management system in which I perform workflows to check documents in and out of. We used to just deal with .dwg files but know we have .ipt, .iam,.idw to deal with. Is anyone else using a standalone EDMS in which they are dealing with keeping track of all the different file types? It just seems like I will have to do alot of programming in my existing EDMS to be able to handle all the file transactions.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rllthomas
in reply to: balfrey

We have used an EDM system for Inventor files for a few years now. Currently we are working on getting them OUT! Every time we need to load up existing product we have to spend hours tracking down every file Inventor needs to load the assembly. It is a really really poor option. I would recommend you put something like PDF files in EDM for the rest of the company to look at and keep you Inventor files far away from any database that doesn't understand file dependancies and automatically establish them when you check files in. Better yet, but a good PDM system if there is any way that is an option. - Rich
Message 3 of 4
balfrey

Thanks for the insight Rich, We are using a very open ended EDM. I should be able to load all drawings under one entry and when you need to checkout the drawing, all files would be able to be brought out at the same time. It will take alot of upfront work to marry the two apps, but my users are really taking off with Inventor. I was just putting my ear out here to see what others have tried. Thanks again

Bob
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Sorry to be nosey, but which EDM system are you using?

8-)

"rllthomas" wrote in message
news:f127652.0@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> We have used an EDM system for Inventor files for a few years now.
Currently we are working on getting them OUT! Every time we need to load up
existing product we have to spend hours tracking down every file Inventor
needs to load the assembly. It is a really really poor option. I would
recommend you put something like PDF files in EDM for the rest of the
company to look at and keep you Inventor files far away from any database
that doesn't understand file dependancies and automatically establish them
when you check files in. Better yet, but a good PDM system if there is any
way that is an option. - Rich

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report