Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edits are not allowed on this file

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
killbox
5525 Views, 27 Replies

Edits are not allowed on this file

I'm using Inventor Pro 2013 as a single user (no vault).  Please see the attached error.  I was placing parts and I think I pulled one outside the project folder??  I got something about changing directories and I accepted it.  That may be what happened but I'm not sure.  I also noticed that in the projects box my project says (read only).

How do I get out of this?

Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
jpadgett
in reply to: blair

The mere fact that the thread is 5 1/2 years old and people are still posting about the 'issue' and looking for solutions should tell AutoDesk that the SW is broken. At the very least; the "Error" message should point to a potential solution rather than a brick wall.

Message 22 of 28
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: jpadgett

@jpadgett

Do you have any interest in finding an actual solution to your problem? 

(Hint: This is a binary Yes/No question.)

Message 23 of 28
jpadgett
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer

Of course I'm looking for a solution; what kind of question is that? It seems a bit pedantic to even ask it.

If you have an actual "solution", post it please, I'd really like to know.

Otherwise, don't waste my time calling me out.

Message 24 of 28
TheCADWhisperer

I recommend that you start a new thread including example Inventor files (including *.ipj file) and a Screencast Recording of the behavior that you observe.

The ball is now in your court.

Message 25 of 28
johnsonshiue

Hi! We are more than willing to help. But, the information you provided so far is not actionable yet. Is this about the ability to edit components residing in Library folder programmatically or via iLogic rule? Or, a writable file in a writable folder (non-library) cannot be edited?

Please share a file or a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 26 of 28
jpadgett
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The problem isn't that I don't know how to accomplish what I want; it's the fact that the SW doesn't allow me to reference parts or assemblies from a different project in my active project without making it a library. The sub-assembly is still in design and subject to change.

I need to be able to use a sub-assembly from a different project AND make changes on that sub-assembly at the same time, without having to close the file I'm working on, change projects, make my edits, close the file, change projects and update the assembly that uses the sub-assembly. The only real solution I've found is to make ONE huge project with a huge number of sub-directories (a directory for every assembly). This model doesn't work with our product release structure.

It's inefficient and supremely irritating to interrupt my work flow to work around a 'feature' that, to me, is a "bug".

Message 27 of 28
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see your point. Indeed, it is annoying to have to switch to a different project in order to open the files. Some users mitigate this behavior by setting up a uber project which has access to all sub projects (work groups). It may not work in all cases but this may be something to consider.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 28 of 28
jpadgett
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Perhaps Autodesk might consider adding a feature to support this type of workflow? An 'uber' project creates problems when it comes to the release cycle and we are submitting source for revision control.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report