Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing part in assembly - inactive iparts lose correct length in Edit mode

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
cvbt-thailand
1414 Views, 3 Replies

Editing part in assembly - inactive iparts lose correct length in Edit mode

I need to edit a part (a jig base) in an assembly to add some holes based on some other parts (the "sub" assemblies to be assembled with the jig) in the assembly.  When I edit the part, the other parts in the assembly are grayed out and, iparts in the assembly lose their designated length.  This puts the geometry that locates the holes in the wrong place.   The assembly has many configurations and includes other subassemblies which use the iparts in different lengths.  I use representations changing the view and position for different subassemblies.  I haven't had this problem with other subassemblies.  I've tried Rebuild All in the assembly and then Edit; the grayed iparts go to the wrong length.  When I Finish Edit the iparts stay at the wrong length (until I Rebuild All).  I'd like the iparts to stay at their correct length while I place my holes.  Thanks.

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I'm sorry, I called adaptive parts, iparts.  The problem I'm having is with some (not all) adaptive parts in the subassembly "losing" the constraint that defines their adaptive length.  It not only happens in Edit mode when they are grayed out.  They lose their length constraint whenever I change to a different Position Representation.  The only way I can get the adaptive parts to be properly constrained is to Rebuild All (which has no affect in Edit mode). 

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Message 3 of 4

I'm getting a better understanding of my problem.  In an assembly I have several subassemblies that use the same adaptive parts.  I use representations in the assembly to view and work with only one subassembly at a time.  How can I make the adaptive parts "stabilize" to the current subassembly?  Each subassembly has its own View and Position Representations.  I have only one Level-of-Detail representation.  I can set the View and Position representations and Rebuild All.  But, the subassembly's adaptive parts will lose their length constraint when I edit another part in the Assembly.

I have tried to set the View Representation to that of the current subassembly (all the other subassemblies visibility is off).  And set the Position Representation to Master.  Then Rebuild All.  Then Save saving the adaptive parts and subassembly and Assembly.  When I set the Position Representation to that of the current part, the adaptive parts still lose their length constraints.

Geoffrey Wheeler
Message 4 of 4

OK, I have a solution.  It is possible to have an assembly having multiple subassemblies using the same adaptive part with different lengths. 

• You can work with only one subassembly at a time.
  • Each subassembly needs its own View Representation in which only that subassembly's Visibility is On..
  • Each View Representation needs to be Copy to Level-of-Detail so that each subassembly has it's own Level-of-Detail.  All the other subassemblies will be suppressed.

Even when another part in the Assembly is being Edited, the grayed-out adaptive parts in the subassembly will keep their correct lengths.  Smiley Happy

Geoffrey Wheeler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report