Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit multiple parts in assembly and upating parts

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
alan.sanchez
4275 Views, 11 Replies

Edit multiple parts in assembly and upating parts

Im working on a plastic enclosure, I needed to make a hole for a connector but this hole would cut into both the top and bottom of the enclosure. Normally when I edit parts in an assembly I just double click them, they become transparent and I can do all my edits. Since I need to make a hole that cuts into both parts, I just went to the 3D Model tab started a new sketch and extruded out the cut. However doing it this way does not reflect the changes when the parts are opened on their own. Is there a way to have these changes tricle down to the part files?

thank you

Alan

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: alan.sanchez

Unfortunatly, Assembly Features only reside within the assembly. You will need to open each part and make the edits within the part enviroment to appear in part drawings.

Edit the first part and create the hole in it, then open the second part, create your sketch and project the geometry of the hole onto the second part. By projecting the geometry, the second will be adaptive to the first, so any hole location change will affect the second part as long as "adaptivity" is still maintained.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
SBix26

You don't mention what version you're using (please always do that!), but this would have been an ideal application for mulit-body solids from 2010 onwards.  All the editing and projecting done in one file...

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 12
alan.sanchez
in reply to: blair

😞 its what I was afraid of. Bummer, I have been doing it as you describe, was hoping editing multiple parts at a time would work.

Message 5 of 12
alan.sanchez
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,  I'm using Professional 2013. Just moved over from solidworks a couple months ago. The reason I'm not using multibody is because I am referencing a lot of the cuts from the actual PCB model that will be inside the enclosure. My workflow at the moment is:

Make a rough model of the top and bottom.

Assemble with the PCB inside.

Project the outlines of buttons, connectors, etc.

Cut the necessary slots.

Add lip/groove or snap depending on what im working on

Add all the necessary bosses, ribs, etc.

Add draft to everything

And Done 🙂

What do you think?

I have been having some trouble selecting faces to project. Say I make a sketch on one of the outer walls of an enclosure and there's a connector behind it. If I select Project Geometry its imposible to select the connector behind it because its not visible. I thought by right clicking and choosing "select other" it would allow me to do it but thats not the case either. What I have been doing so far is making a sketch on a surface of the connector and using the "slice graphics" to be able to project the connectors face to the sketch. Then I can project that sketch wherever I need it. Is there an option I have turned off that is not allowing me to select things behind where im sketching?

thanks for all your help

Alan

Message 6 of 12
SBix26

I'd still use multi-body solids.  Just start by deriving in the PCB as surfaces, then model your enclosure around it.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 12
Alan3DR

When you say derive the PCB as surfaces you mean just redo the part as a surface? Is there a way to automate this if I already have the PCB as a part?

thanks

Alan

Message 8 of 12
alan.sanchez
in reply to: Alan3DR

Sorry just realized I have two accounts, guess I forgot about one of them. In case the reply above disappears here it is from my regular account:

When you say derive the PCB as surfaces you mean just redo the part as a surface? Is there a way to automate this if I already have the PCB as a part?

thanks

Alan

Message 9 of 12
alan.sanchez

Never mind, I see what youre saying, just saw the derive button. I'll definetly try to do it that way next time. Thanks!

Also just found out about SHIFT+RightClick for selection preferences, that might also help.

thanks 

Alan

Message 10 of 12
alan.sanchez

I just re-made my part using your method and I have to say it helped A LOT.  Thanks for all the help 🙂

Message 11 of 12
neil.audir8
in reply to: blair

What is the point of the 3D modelling tab in the assembly if you can not modify the underlying parts?

Message 12 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: neil.audir8

The 3D modeling tab (tools) work exactly like the real world.

Features added after the parts are assembled (like match-machined holes).

If you want to modify the underlying parts in the context of the assembly - simply right click on the part and select Edit Part.

Now instead of assembly feature tools, you have the part feature editing tools.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report