Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit lib parts (yeah I know about the frozen directories) This is different

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
119 Views, 2 Replies

Edit lib parts (yeah I know about the frozen directories) This is different

Here are my grumblings. I have a lib directory of assembled boxes with no product in them. They are used in multiple directories for multiple products. each product needs 1 of the library boxes to be shipped in. Each shipping container needs to be documented. This shows that the product fits in the box, it shows where decals go, etc. In order for me to easily get the product in the box I need to supress some flanges (the lids). In the lib they are not supressed. Well here is what I do is I place the top level assy in the drawing. I then place the box in the new boxing/ assembly drawing. This drawing gets the assembly close. I then double click on the box model and I get the error for trying to edit a lib part. I know and understand this error. I just really want to see it be an option to edit the lib parts or have a directory of editable parts and non-editable parts. (maybe that is the solution i would hate to repath for that). Why can't IV ask me are you sure you want to edit that part? It would work. It sure beats what I am doing now: exiting the iam, revising the path project directory, then open the box, exit the box, redo the ipj again, re open the assy, make the desired changes, exit the assy, revise the ipj, close the box, exit the box drawing, revise the ipj, re open the assy, complete the assy. That is quite a goat roping session to make a stupid shipping crate.... Sorry I just had to vent. This has to happen for over 300 products I am in the early stages of this.. so if someone has a better idea now is the time to speak up please otherwise I am chasing this poorly designed event for each product. I would turn off all of the flanges ahead of time but they are supposed to be on for all product that currently use the same boxes.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You could create a project file that has your
library parts in workgroup paths.  Use that project file as an "include
file" in each of your product project files.  You will then have the option
of editing or not, yet still have "library paths" of a sort.  This would
allow you to edit all your project files using Notepad or Wordpad or the Project
File Editor.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical
Designer
Xenogen
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Interesting I'll have to give this a go 'round at home prior to experimenting at work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report