Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Extrusion, OK button Greyed out

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
rhasell
5224 Views, 12 Replies

Edit Extrusion, OK button Greyed out

Hi all

This has been bugging me for a while now and I am now looking for some help.

Whenever I edit an Extrude 'cut' feature,(eg: To Add or remove a profile), the OK button is greyed out and no matter what I do, I can't get it back.

The only way to edit the extrusion is to:

Shift EOP

Delete the extrusion

Recreate the extrusion.

Shift EOP

fix errors if any.

Any sugestions?

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: rhasell

Based on the workflow or steps you provided, I can't reproduce this behavior. So could you attach the dataset or image for more details?

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 13
rhasell
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

Hi River Cai

Thank you for responding.

One thing I have discovered, is that if there is something hanging off the extrusion, eg, projected geometry, it will not work.

Please See attached file.

Thank you.

Reg
Message 4 of 13
Yijiang.Cai

Maybe I did not catch the key idea here, and it is not reproducible using the dataset you attached. Could you give us more steps about the workflow you have done?

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 13
JDMather

I too tried to reproduce the issue and everything worked as expected for me.

But I might have been confused by your model.

In education we often give tests with something called "distractors".  These distractors are additional "information" that really have nothing to do with the problem.  In other contexts it might be termed "noise".  I'm not sure I haven't been distracted from seeing the problem by a distractor.  In the attached image can the problem be reproduced without these features?

Distractors.PNG

Can you reproduce the issue is a very simple file of an extruded rectangle and an extrude cut?

When I edit one of your Extrude - Cuts with a change that actually changes the condition of the model - the button becomes available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
SBix26

In the file you posted, are you trying to edit Extrusion11, changing the cut profile fom Sketch2 to Sketch14?  If so, I experienced the same thing that you did-- after deselecting the existing profile and picking the new one, OK was not available (and the preview did not correctly reflect the extrusion options (through all, symmetric).  However, if I made any changes to these options, then changed back, all behaved as expected.

Message 7 of 13
rhasell

Thanks guys.

I must admit, not some of my best work, the simple design has been modified at least 4 times, (engineering drawings going live without a proper design foundation.)
hense the scrappy work. The reason for the request was that the client has made another change, and. I was not able to edit the extrusions.

I will make a smaller part tomorrow and post it, if I get the error and you guys don't, it will naturally indicate an issue on my PC.

As a matter of interest, there is a lonely extrude in the middle of the tree, just above a shared sketch, edit it, the OK button will not activate at all.
Reg
Message 8 of 13
JDMather

@rhasell wrote:

As a matter of interest, there is a lonely extrude in the middle of the tree, just above a shared sketch, edit it, the OK button will not activate at all.

Does it have a name, ie Extrude2?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
rhasell
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Sorry, I was mobile.

It was extrusion 14.

I will make a new part to ease the simulation.

Reg
Message 10 of 13
Yijiang.Cai

Based on the sketch name and workflow, I retry it. And the behavior you talked can be seen when editing Extrusion 14, it looks interesting, but when changing the extents from All to Distance to All, and make the flip direction right, it will work fine. Anyway this issue has been logged as 1476442 in our tracking system.

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 13
rhasell

Thank you

This issue is not high on my priority list, it was just something that crops up every now and again, and I was hoping that someone else had experienced it, and possibly had a solution or an explanation as to why it happens.

If I could understand why it happens, I will try to avoid it while designing, probably something silly that I am doing with the workflow, esp considering that I had to modify the part a few times, and added cuts out of order.

Thanks once again.

Reg
Message 12 of 13
Yijiang.Cai

Hi Reg,

We take much investigation on this behavior, and it is a known issue for us. When looking into the extrusion, you will find that the key factor is that the symmetric flip direction is used for extrusion cut. For this issue, the reason why is pretty simple. Edit the extrude feature and change extent from All to Distance, you will see the distance value is set to zero, which is illegitimate. As a result, the dialog does not like the condition and then greys out the OK button. To fix the issue, you could have two choices.

Choice A: When switching extents type from Distance to All, simply give a meaningful value like 1mm or 1in (default value), instead of zero.

Choice B: Do not check for Distance value when extents type is set to All.

Generally Choice A would be a better solution and easier to implement, since any value Inventor sets should be meaningful.

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 13
rhasell

Thank you for taking the time to debug the error.

I thought I was going mad, as it was quite difficult to re-produce the fault in another model, so I guess it was something in my workflow.

I am happy with the solution, at least I know what to do if it goes pear shaped again.

Reg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report