Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit coordinate system - how do I move the origin point?!

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jimmy.alenius
6590 Views, 12 Replies

Edit coordinate system - how do I move the origin point?!

Hi! I have searched the net for a solution how to move the origin point (or x/y axis) when I edit the coordinate system in a sketch, but I get it to work. The workflow seems to be:

1. Right click a sketch in the browser list
  2. Pick "Edit coordinate system)
  3. Left click and drag the origin point or a z/y axis to an edge or point
  4. Right click and ok.

I'm not able to move the origin point or x/y axis. Why?

Regards / Jimmy

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: jimmy.alenius

post the part..

why do you need to edit the coordinate system?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 13
JDMather

Did you figure this out?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 13
autocad1RY3QB
in reply to: JDMather

1. I have the same problem.  I cannot align coordinate system in the first sketch in assembly. Looks precisely as the old issue fro 2009. No reaction at all when clicking on coordinate system which shows after I have right clicked the sketch and selected "Edit coordinate system"

2. Someone asked why we need it? I have at least 2 answers:

The first I when I double click the wheel on the mouse my sketch appears very little, just because Inventor put the coordinate system random in big distance from the actual working plane

The second: I don't want to guess every time which line constrain vertical and which horizontal 

The third: I like order which helps me to complete my tasks more smoothly. I hope Inventor designers like order too...

The forth: why a coordinate system on sketch doesn't  just projects in the first step from the coordinate system in assembly/ part? For me it is just annoying to have to change coordinate system every time I'm drawing the sketch.    

Message 5 of 13

@autocad1RY3QB wrote:

...For me it is just annoying to have to change coordinate system every time I'm drawing the sketch.

That would be annoying.  I have never changed the coordinate system in 15+ years of using Inventor, except to demonstrate to students how it is done.

Attach your assembly here and end all doubt.

Message 6 of 13

Hi! I know what you are talking about. I have seen other users complaining about the same behaviors. The issue here is that Inventor chooses the 2D coordinate system based on the loop of the selected planar face. The process cannot be controlled by the user and also the reference used by the coordinate system may not be apparent to users.

We are aware of the offending behaviors and we are working on solutions. But, the solutions will only be in future releases.

In the meantime, when you want to relocate the sketch origin, you will need to right-click on the sketch -> Edit Coordinate System -> click on the origin in the sketch XY coordinate -> pick a new location for the origin -> right-click -> Ok.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 13

I can't get this to work...

1. I right-click the sketch-icon (I'm not in sketch-mode), and pick "Edit Coordinate System" 

2. Then I click on the origin I want to move (I can see some sort of highlight when I hoover the point).

3. But when I try to select an Edge, Workaxis or Sketchline, I can't select anything.

/Jimmy

Message 8 of 13

Hi Jimmy,

It should work. Could you share an example here so we can take a look?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13

Hi! Here's a short video of me trying to edit the coordinate point.

Message 10 of 13
andrewiv

I think what you are seeing there is because you are trying to edit the first sketch.  If there is no geometry to tie the origin to it will just use the part origin.  If you created some geometry above that sketch then you would be able to move the origin of the sketch to that geometry.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 11 of 13

Hi Jimmy,

I guess you are new to Inventor or any feature-based parametric solid modeler. Andrew is right. This cannot be done. It is because you are trying to align the sketch coordinate to the sketch geometry itself. Sketch geometry is created based on its coordinate and a sketch plane. The geometry is like a dependent of the sketch.

I think you are looking for a way to relocate coordinate easily. You should try using UCS. Go to Work Features section in the Ribbon and find UCS. Click on the command and then click it in the graphics window -> right-click -> Finish. A coordinate system is ready for you to use. You can simply create sketch based on its planes. You can move the UCS and the sketch will move accordingly.

Please try it out and let us know if you have additional questions.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13

@jimmy.alenius wrote:

Hi! Here's a short video of me trying to edit the coordinate point.

Why not simply add a Coincident Constraint between the Origin and the corner of the rectangle?

Or

if you want the rectangle a certain distance from the Origin, add two dimensions.

Do you need to move the Origin during design of for CAM CNC programming?

Message 13 of 13

Hey! I realize I misunderstood what the function does. I thought you could move the point as anchors its 2d shapes, just like the move tool (but vice versa). It's fun that you can always learn something new every day 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report