Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Simulation: How to apply an acceleration?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
FabianNie
2255 Views, 17 Replies

Dynamic Simulation: How to apply an acceleration?

Hi forum,

I know how to apply a force in a dynamic simultion. But how do I apply an acceleration?

Thanks for you help,

Fabian

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: FabianNie

Have you gone through this book?

http://vrblog.info/

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
FabianNie
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for the answer.

I had a quick look on this website but it doesn't seem to deal with accelerations.

The version I run is Inventor 11, in case this is important

I designed an acceleration sensor carrier and now I would like to see how it deforms if an acceleration is applied. Like putting the carrier on a sled and accelerating the sled. Hope you don't need the assembly to help me.

Fabian

Message 4 of 18
JDMather

@FabianNie wrote:

I had a quick look on this website but it doesn't seem to deal with accelerations.

I have the book right in front of me and there are examples of acceleration

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Autodesk-Inventor-Simulation-Second/dp/0123821029/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s...

Did you open the attachment image in my previous post?

Your job might be as simple as adding a Body Load in FEA environment - in which case you don't even need dynamic simulation. (see attached)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
swalton

I believe that dynamic simulation is rigid body motion only. 

If you want to see deformation, you should use the FEA package. 

Create a gravity load and mulitply the stock mangnitude by the #of Gs you want to simulate.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 18
FabianNie
in reply to: swalton

JDMather: Sorry, I didn't see the first attached picture. But I did see the second one at once.

I quickly drew a part and apply an acceleration. The result is attached. I'm a little confused about the direction. The arrow is pointing from the left to the right. I think the part should bend to the other direction. Is there a way I can do this simulation with an assembly? Or is it like swaltan says a rigid body simulation?

Fabian

Message 7 of 18
JDMather

If you can get to correct forces in dynamic simulation you can then export discrete time steps to analyze FEA at those time steps of interest  (it is not going to dynamically deform while in DS).

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
FabianNie

But then I do need additional software, right? And is the direction of the acceleration in the picture correct?

Message 9 of 18
JDMather

@FabianNie wrote:

But then I do need additional software, right? And is the direction of the acceleration in the picture correct?

No other software needed if my workflow would work in your application (you should get that book or at least go through all of the built-in tutorials and any YouTube or Skillbuilders you can find on the topic).

For your second question I can't really tell anything from that picture.

Can't you build a simplfied dummy assembly or part that illustrates the same behavior of your real work and attach that here?

EESignature

Message 10 of 18
FabianNie

Just made an example and applied an acceleration on one part. The files are attached.

Fabian

Message 11 of 18
JDMather

I get an error trying to extract your zip.
Did you use Windows to zip or some other software?

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
FabianNie

This is strange. I used 7-Zip. I attached it again packed with 7-Zip but without compression. If it still does not work I'll get another software.

Fabian

Message 13 of 18
JDMather

That one opens fine - but I'm on my way out the door.  I'll check back tomorrow if someone else doesn't jump in here.

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
JDMather

@FabianNie wrote:

I'm a little confused about the direction. The arrow is pointing from the left to the right. I think the part should bend to the other direction. 

Fabian

I think it is a matter of perspective body load acceleration or a force (like gravity). 
I'll let Hugh come along and give a better explaination.

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
henderh

I totally agree with JD, it's a matter of perspective.

For your analogy of an acceleration sled, if the box moves to the left, the acceleration force will act to the right.  The "free" corners of the box will deflect to the right.

If you were in a car, and it accelerates forward, your head would thrown back and your body pressed into the seat.  Although the direction is forward, the body load from the acceleration is the opposite direction due to the inertia that your body wants to stay "at rest".  A similar thing would be true for going around a corner.

If you set up the simulation this way in Dynamic Simulation, you can export the motion loads and view the acceleration body load direction in stress Analysis.  It consistent.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, -Hugh

NG_body_load_acceleration_direction.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 16 of 18
FabianNie

Sorry for the late reply. Had to take a few days off for family affairs.

@ JDMather and henderh: Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much.

@ henderh: Why can you do a stress analysis of an assembly with Inventor? I can do this only with a single component. Is it a new feature of a version later than R11?

@ JDMather: Could you point me to a source that describes how to export the forces in a dynamic simulation to an FEA? My book on inventor does not cover simulations and I hope I do not need to buy another book for just one simulation.

Fabian

Message 17 of 18
JDMather

There are Tutorials built into Inventor. (see attached)

My guess is that there is probably a Skill Builder too  Help>Learning Tools>Skill Builders & Tutorials.

EESignature

Message 18 of 18
henderh

Hi Fabian,

We introduced assembly stress analysis in the R2010 release when we switched from the ANSYS based solver to the PlassoTech solver.

R11 was released ~5 years ago and my memory is foggy on the exact steps.  If I remember correctly, the basics of exporting the motion loads in that release were:

1)  Run the simualtion in DS and pause at the desired timestep

2)  Press the Export to FEA button and select the part in the graphics

3)  Choose the load bearing faces in the graphics when prompted in the dialog

4)  In-place edit the part (key step)

5)  Enter Stress Analysis and use the import motion loads command.

Hope this helps, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report