Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF from a sketch

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
fairlaniac
425 Views, 6 Replies

DXF from a sketch

I need to make a DXF file for a newly aquired water jet machine here at work. It needsto be a polyline. How can I get the unextruded outline of the shape from my sketchm and convert to polyline and save as dxf? I'm fairly new to Inventor so excuse me if this is a simpel task.

thanks,

Doug

Doug
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: fairlaniac

Try this-

Select Convert to Sheet Metal (or do as sheet metal Face to begin with).

Click Flat Pattern (doesn't matter that it is already flat - create the flat pattern).

Right click on the Flat Pattern node and select Save Copy As type *.dxf

when going through the wizzard set it to convert the boundary into polyline.

I haven't tried this - so let me know if it works.

Update - I just tried it and it worked for me.  If it doesn't work on your part, can you attach the *.ipt file here?

Flat Pattern.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: JDMather

You always seem to beat me to the post JD!!  Smiley Very Happy
Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: mpatchus

@mpatchus wrote:
You always seem to beat me to the post JD!!  Smiley Very Happy

You must be slowing down in your old age.
I had to go find the answer in between fielding student lab questions on DS before I could respond.

This will be a good one for my next lecture though.  That is what I love about this forum - gives me real world lecture material for my class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
mpatchus

I used to do the same thing when I was teaching.

I even had some of my senior students monitor the forums and see if they could solve some of the posts themselves.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 7
fairlaniac

Couldn't get it to work for some reason. found if I go to the .ipt and edit the sketch I can right click and on the drop down it has an option to export the file and it goes directly to a .dxf file and the lines are polyline on the drawing. Took less than a minute to get what I needed.

Thanks,

Doug
Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: fairlaniac

You might investigate the other technique as well as it has an option to turn Splines into Polylines.

This is particularly important for bent metal and cut across bend parts.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report