Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dxf files very large with new logo in Title Block

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gerard.kenster
716 Views, 4 Replies

Dxf files very large with new logo in Title Block

Hi,

Our company recently changed it's logo. The previous logo was sketched in the title block but the new one had to be inserted as a png.

Now when we create Dxf'x the file size is much bigger than before. i.e. A drawing without the png logo creates a Dxf of 363kB but the same drawing with the png logo creates a Dxf of 6882kB. The png itself is only 22kB so I don't understand why it pumps the Dxf file size so high.

Is there a way around this? Can I save Dxf's but exclude the png?

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeanchile
in reply to: gerard.kenster

We had a similar problem many years ago and fixed it by following the guidelines that Curtis had in his Mastering Inventor book (at that time):

1.) Use a bitmap image

2.) Make the image as small as possible (resolution/file size-wise)

3.) Embed the image don't link it

That helped our issue a ton but we were using Inventor ".dwg" files and sending to AutoCAD ".dwg" files... which are still quite large no matter what.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 5
gerard.kenster
in reply to: jeanchile

Jean, I've tried bitmap, png, jpg, etc., no format seems to have a significant effect.

I have reduced the image as small as possible without it looking unclear.

Yes, image is embedded not linked as linked image would be a pain in Vault.

I presume when the image is converted into the dxf it is requiring a large amount of data to display all the same information as an image file does, so is the key here being able to exclude the image file when creating the dxf? Is this possible?

Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 5
brian
in reply to: gerard.kenster

We also had the same issues and battled different fixes off and on for a while, some better than others, but never solving it. I found in the end it was actually easier and considerably quicker (and more reliable in other packages) to insert the logo, and quick trace over it as vector details then delete the image altogether.

When its only a logo and doesnt need to be perfect, tracing over a bitmap is quite quick.... and you dont get scale issues etc after translation.

Brian

Message 5 of 5
dnewman
in reply to: brian

we do exactly the same trace over the raster image. If and image is complex we'll use a rast to vector application off the internet.
Snap! Snap! I've Finally Cracked!
---=/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/=---
HP z210 16Gb ATI FirePro5800
Autodesk Produst design Suite 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report