Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF brought in on sketch plane

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
KevinPinks7697
223 Views, 2 Replies

DXF brought in on sketch plane

I am bringing in AutoCAD drawings (DXF) so as to minimize work in the modeling environment. Most of the DXF works great but the lines will not extrude as they are not a closed profile. Is there an easy way to fix this either in the DXF or in the sketch mode?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi KevinPinks7697,

I don't do this often, but when I do need to bring AuoCAD linework into Inventor, I'll typically use the AutoCAD Boundary command (type BO in the command line) to check for/create a "water tight" boundary that can be extruded.

If the BO command finds an issue with the line work you can zoom in/out a bit to have the non-connecting endpoints highlight:

AutodCAD Boundary Gap.png

You can also set the HPGAPTOL system variable in AutoCAD to set a GAP tolerance so that a boundary can be created even when gaps smaller than the HPGAPTOL value are found.

In Inventor you can often click the red cross, Sketch Doctor button in the Extrude dialog box, to find and fix open loops when an extrude feature fails:

Autodesk Inventor Close Loop.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 3

Kevin,

One of the ways that I have ensured that is closed is by turning it into a closed polyline in AutoCAD and then it will typically be closed in Inventor.

Good Luck

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report