Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG in Powerpoint

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2929 Views, 16 Replies

DWG in Powerpoint

Hello, I'm trying to insert a .dwg (from Inventor 2012) file in a .ppt presentation (Powerpoint 2007), I'd like to be able to move the piece during the presentation, I managed to open the file in Powerpoint, but I can't move it, when I'm fullscreen the .dwg appears as an image, and clicking it only gets to the next slide...

Thanks a lot for your help 😉

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach the dwg and the ppt file here?

Have you tried dwf instead?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

DWF doesn't work either... Here is my file (in DWF), and for the .ppt, well I was trying on an empty file, I'll put it on my presentation later

Message 4 of 17
mcgyvr

I would use PDF.. or an image format (PNG)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

How will that allow moving the piece, say Orbit, during the presentation?

With an embeded dwf part can be rotated, parts in assembly can be turned off/on.... 

I just have to remember how to do it (half way there - I can do it while in set-up of the slide, but not in presentation yet).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

How will that allow moving the piece, say Orbit, during the presentation?

With an embeded dwf part can be rotated, parts in assembly can be turned off/on.... 

I just have to remember how to do it (half way there - I can do it while in set-up of the slide, but not in presentation yet).

How could a dwg have provided that functionality?

It wasn't clear to me what the "move it" comment really was meaning.. I just assumed they could insert the dwg file but just couldn't figure out how to place it where they wanted in their power point slide..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 17
JDMather

A 3D dwg can be rotated, layers turned on/off... in PowerPoint as well.

"...move the piece during the presentation" I saw these as the key to the problem description.

Message 8 of 17
mcgyvr

And her DWF inserts just fine (well into my 2007 power point blank slide).. Not sure what "doesn't work" about it.. 

Tons of info out there on how it should work..

http://www.trainingtutorial.com/TAT13.htm

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/DWF/DWF-in-Powerpoint/td-p/2391942

Message 9 of 17
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

A 3D dwg can be rotated, layers turned on/off... in PowerPoint as well.

A 3d dwg from Inventor? 

I could imagine you could do that with an Autocad dwg file but not sure how thats possible with Inventor as its only 2d? 

Message 10 of 17
JDMather

A 3D dwg file can be saved out from Inventor.

Message 11 of 17
Cadmanto

I wasn't even aware that the capability of rotating models within a power point file was even possible.  Does that mean this can happen inside of a Word document as well?  When did this functionality start?  The OP is using office 2007, does it need to be office 2010?  I am just wondering if there are compatibility version issues between these softwares as well.  Like between other modeling softwares and Inventor.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 12 of 17
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you just talking about saving to an Autocad dwg from the ipt or something? 

Message 13 of 17
JDMather

@mcgyvr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you just talking about saving to an Autocad dwg from the ipt or something? 

Yes.  Ipt or iam.

I might be reading too much into this, "Hello, I'm trying to insert a .dwg (from Inventor 2012) file in a .ppt presentation (Powerpoint 2007), I'd like to be able to move the piece during the presentation."  But I assumed the OP was talking about a 3D dwg saved from Inventor.

Message 14 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

I wasn't even aware that the capability of rotating models within a power point file was even possible.  Does that mean this can happen inside of a Word document as well?  When did this functionality start?  The OP is using office 2007, does it need to be office 2010?        

I used to have my students do this since wayyyyy back (I'm thinking 2001).  Works in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.  But I haven't done it in 3 or 4 years.

If using dwg - AutoCAD must be installed on the presentation machine.

If using dwf - Design Review must be installed on the presentation machine.

I've never tried it with native Inventor files.

I used to give a final exam (*.doc) with embedded dwg files. If the student didn't recall how to manipulate them, they wouldn't be able to complete that portion of the exam.

Message 15 of 17
JDMather

Here is an example file to test.

If this works for you - I can explain the process.

(I just checked on another machine and you have to enable editing on the dowloaded file for it to work.)

Can even do section views.

Message 16 of 17
Cadmanto

JD, I would like to know how you did this.  This would be really cool for presentations.

If you could send the instructions on how you do this to me that would be great.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 17 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

Here are the instructions.

More information could be included in the dwf, including drawing sheets and animation from the *.ipn file.

I had more trouble getting this into PowerPoint than Word or Excel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report