Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG and JPG layers in .STP file?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
909 Views, 7 Replies

DWG and JPG layers in .STP file?

Hi,

i'm working on a small project, it's a box for electronics. The housing will have different marking when it's finished. I was wondering if it's possible to place a .DWG and .JPG files where the marking shall be and and you can switch between layers to see different markings on the box and all this possible in a .STP file? Or is this impossible, i've been trying to get it work for weeks without any success.

/Nicko

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

STEP is the geometry topology only.

If you could make the markings as different parts (perhaps using solidedit-imprint) you might be able to get somewhere.

Oops, I saw dwg and thought AutoCAD.  Use Split face command in Inventor.

If the jpg is complex though not sure there is an easy (STEP) solution.
Can you attach the files here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I really don't see how the split faces would help in this situation, could you explain more on how you think i would do?

And to add some more, i read my first post and it's lots of info missing. So, i have my box, just a regular box with some holes drilled for leds and switches. Then i want to add some DWG layers with marking on them, depending on what the box will be used for. I then want to export the file to a .STP file so other programs can open it. My question is if it's possible to change between these marking layers while in 3D mode i.e you import the STP file to the program, and when imported can change visibility on the layers?

Hope i got it clear this time. /Nicko

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Then i want to add some DWG layers with marking on them, depending on what the box will be used for. 

In the real world - what are these markings?
Injection molded into the part?
Printed/painted onto the part?
A label attached to the part?

In the real world these markings must take some physical form - describe that form.

Once that form is known - it can be modeled.  Just like the real world.

Can you attach the box or at least a sample of the markings?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8
coreyparks

Unless you create those labels as solid models that somehow show everything you want to see then they will be ignored when converting to STEP.  STEP files will only contain solid model geometry no sketch lines or pictures will be translated.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

These markings will be printed on transparent polyester and then glued on the box with a weather-resistant glue.

Can't attach the actual box and marking overlay, since they are confidential.

But according to coreyparks, what i want to do is not possible with STEP files and i need to create a solid model that looks like the markings /overlay i want to create, so i will consider my question answered. Thank you both for excellent help.

Message 7 of 8
rdyson

HAve you tried "include sketches" option in the step export? And of course import wires when opening.

No idea if that will solve your problem, but haven't seen it mdntioned.

PDSU 2016
Message 8 of 8
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

These markings will be printed on transparent polyester

The polyester decal has measureable thickness so it is a modable solid.
Split Face would allow you to color the design/text as printed on the decal - but unfortunately transparent colors do not convert in STEP, other than that you could make it look pretty good (if the design isn't too complex).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report