Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dual monitor alternative

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
av8r
201 Views, 6 Replies

dual monitor alternative

I have seen posts on the NG about using two monitors. As I understand it, the need for two monitors is to check e-mail and other non inventor tasks. If this is correct I have an alternative.

We have two computers with one Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse. One machine is an Inventor machine and nothing else except Excell. The other machine is the standard machine for e-mail and everything else.

Right now we are upgrading all of the machines that have Inventor on them to dual processor machines.

We use a KVM box to switch back and forth between machines. The KVM box works very well and only costs about $75. The hotkey to switch is, control key twice (double click).

This is just an idea that I have not seen posted before and I thought someone might find it interesting

Kevin Gill
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
accu-cad
in reply to: av8r

Not disagreeing with what you stated but we often call up 2 sessions of IV one on each screen. More over if we are upgrading a product drawing from autocad to IV then one window is Autocad and the other is IV this removes the need to toggle back and forth from screen to screen or ap to ap.
It is like having a blueprint you can actually measure and use accuratly off your desk. I personally would like the 2 monitor and 2 worksation setup but it is cost prohibitive.
Message 3 of 7
jamesloberg

I just can't get into the dual monitor bit. I find it easier and faster to alt-tab (toggle) between programs than to move my eyes and refocus and throw the mouse across two screens.
Message 4 of 7
accu-cad

I use to think that before our boss made me take the dual monitors. Now I want duals at home too. (wifey not pleased) I actually have the monitors at home to do it already just not the space.
Message 5 of 7
jamesloberg

Yah? I tried working with 2 19" CRT's and couldn't take to it....maybe it's my desk. I'll try it again.

Ya know, with all the digital tv's and monitor's going to widescreen, it's a wonder somebody hasn't tweaked cheap-o CRT's to be like 40" wide. Boy would that be heavy.
Message 6 of 7
av8r

If you use the KVM switch you only need 1 monitor 1 keyboard and 1 mouse for 2 computers. One machine is a clesn inventor machine and the other one is a elcheapo machine that the ITS guys can setup for e-mail....

Switching back and forth is easy since there is only one monitor.

Kevin
Message 7 of 7
accu-cad

I understand that but it defeats the purpose of dual monitors

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report