Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Dimensions in a sketch.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
cholte
1069 Views, 10 Replies

Dual Dimensions in a sketch.

How do I change one of the dimensions in my sketch to be metric while maintaining the rest as a standard dimensions?

See attached pic.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: cholte

RC on the dimension and select "New Dimension Style"

Then in the styles editor change it to metric.  Then hit apply.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
cholte
in reply to: Cadmanto

When I RC, this is all I get for options?

See Attached.

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

Click off of the dimension and do it again.  Sometimes if I don't select it right I get a different menu.

You should see the menu like this.

dim.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 11
cholte

Awe, I see the difference. You are in a drawing and I'm in a sketch of a model. I want to dim and the sketch level...

Message 6 of 11
Cadmanto

That makes a big difference.  Smiley Wink

I am not sure that you can do what you are trying to do on the model sketch level.  Why would you want to do that

on the sketch level?  Smiley Surprised

I can understand in a drawing, but not a model sketch.  The dimensions in the model are for part creating not for representation puposes. 

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi cholte,

There isn't a way to selectively display part sketch dimensions in alternate units, but you can right-click in the sketch environment (but not on the dimension) and choose Dimension Display, and the choose Expression. This will show the actual entered value. So if you entered 1 in for a centimeter dimension, it will display as 1 in rather than 2.54 cm.

Can you describe what your overall goal here? I've never really had the need to do what you're asking, so it makes me thing there might be some other solution for your "big picture" goal.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 11
mrattray

I don't know if this will do what you're trying to accomplish but, you can simply type the dimension followed by the unit. (i.e. 25mm) When you hit enter IV will convert it to your standard unit, inches in your case, for display purposes but if you go to edit it it will still be 25mm, similar to using an expression.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 11
cholte
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

That will work thanks! The reason why I need that to be in the sketch is when I pass off the models to be detailed out the person doing to drawings will have a none sequential number pop up and when they check the sketch they will see the tolerance has to be metric.

Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr

@cholte wrote:

That will work thanks! The reason why I need that to be in the sketch is when I pass off the models to be detailed out the person doing to drawings will have a none sequential number pop up and when they check the sketch they will see the tolerance has to be metric.

huh? why? Silly... metric or inches..a length is still a length and a tolerance is still a tolerance no matter what side of the world you are on.. All dimensions on a drawing should be in the same units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 11
mrattray
in reply to: mcgyvr

Metric happens...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report