Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
cholte
Message 1 of 11 (384 Views)
Accepted Solution

Dual Dimensions in a sketch.

384 Views, 10 Replies
06-06-2012 09:19 AM

How do I change one of the dimensions in my sketch to be metric while maintaining the rest as a standard dimensions?

See attached pic.

Hi cholte,

There isn't a way to selectively display part sketch dimensions in alternate units, but you can right-click in the sketch environment (but not on the dimension) and choose Dimension Display, and the choose Expression. This will show the actual entered value. So if you entered 1 in for a centimeter dimension, it will display as 1 in rather than 2.54 cm.

Can you describe what your overall goal here? I've never really had the need to do what you're asking, so it makes me thing there might be some other solution for your "big picture" goal.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 11 (375 Views)

Re: Dual Dimensions in a sketch.

06-06-2012 09:27 AM in reply to: cholte

RC on the dimension and select "New Dimension Style"

Then in the styles editor change it to metric.  Then hit apply.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2014
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Contributor
cholte
Message 3 of 11 (371 Views)

06-06-2012 09:33 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

When I RC, this is all I get for options?

See Attached.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 4 of 11 (364 Views)

06-06-2012 09:36 AM in reply to: cholte

Click off of the dimension and do it again.  Sometimes if I don't select it right I get a different menu.

You should see the menu like this.

dim.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Contributor
cholte
Message 5 of 11 (356 Views)

06-06-2012 09:40 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Awe, I see the difference. You are in a drawing and I'm in a sketch of a model. I want to dim and the sketch level...

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 6 of 11 (349 Views)

06-06-2012 09:44 AM in reply to: cholte

That makes a big difference.  :smileywink:

I am not sure that you can do what you are trying to do on the model sketch level.  Why would you want to do that

on the sketch level?  :smileysurprised:

I can understand in a drawing, but not a model sketch.  The dimensions in the model are for part creating not for representation puposes. 

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 7 of 11 (341 Views)

06-06-2012 09:46 AM in reply to: cholte

Hi cholte,

There isn't a way to selectively display part sketch dimensions in alternate units, but you can right-click in the sketch environment (but not on the dimension) and choose Dimension Display, and the choose Expression. This will show the actual entered value. So if you entered 1 in for a centimeter dimension, it will display as 1 in rather than 2.54 cm.

Can you describe what your overall goal here? I've never really had the need to do what you're asking, so it makes me thing there might be some other solution for your "big picture" goal.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 8 of 11 (336 Views)

06-06-2012 09:49 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I don't know if this will do what you're trying to accomplish but, you can simply type the dimension followed by the unit. (i.e. 25mm) When you hit enter IV will convert it to your standard unit, inches in your case, for display purposes but if you go to edit it it will still be 25mm, similar to using an expression.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Contributor
cholte
Message 9 of 11 (315 Views)

06-06-2012 10:04 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

That will work thanks! The reason why I need that to be in the sketch is when I pass off the models to be detailed out the person doing to drawings will have a none sequential number pop up and when they check the sketch they will see the tolerance has to be metric.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 10 of 11 (290 Views)

06-06-2012 11:04 AM in reply to: cholte

cholte wrote:

That will work thanks! The reason why I need that to be in the sketch is when I pass off the models to be detailed out the person doing to drawings will have a none sequential number pop up and when they check the sketch they will see the tolerance has to be metric.

huh? why? Silly... metric or inches..a length is still a length and a tolerance is still a tolerance no matter what side of the world you are on.. All dimensions on a drawing should be in the same units.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!