Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drop part into an assy in its design axis position 2103

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dixie237
338 Views, 6 Replies

drop part into an assy in its design axis position 2103

Hi,

I have several parts designed "car line" in their respective parts.

I would like to simply add them to an assy in their respective axis positions.

Obviously "place" drops in in an arbitory position to then be "Assembled". Not what I am looking for.

I was looking for a copy/  paste function between part / assy but there seems no way to paste into an assy.

Can anybody help me please?

Many thanks

Dean

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CCarreiras
in reply to: dixie237

HI!

If i am following your thoughts, you want to place the part and make coincident the part's coordinate system with the assembly's coordinate system?

If so, place the parts, select each one and go to the "productivity" tab and select  "Ground Root Component".

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 7
dixie237
in reply to: CCarreiras

Perfect.

That's the one. Thank you Carlos.

Continuing that train of thought.

If I have 2 assemblies, and I want to copy out a part and place it, in the same relative axis position between the assemblies. How would I do that?

Many thanks

Dean

Message 4 of 7
CCarreiras

Hi!

Why don´t you use the same process? The part from the assembly 2 doesnt have a propper "axis " position, but the assembly have? Is that?

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 7
dixie237

Hi Carlos,

What I am trying to imagine doing is having a part designed around 0,0,0. This is then positioned into an assy away from the 0,0,0.

A 2nd assy is created, and the part needs to be taken from the first assy, and dropped into this new assy in the identical position as the first assy....a copy/paste operation. Hope thats clear. 🙂

Cheers

Dean

Message 6 of 7
CCarreiras

Hi!

Scenario:

You have Assembly1 (A1) and Assembly2 (A2): Coordinate system is equal in A1 and A2.

You need to place parts from A2 in A1,  mantaining the relative position they have in A2 but in A1.

I dón't know any automatic process to do that. I let here two ideas. Personally i'd choose the option 2.

Option - 1

- Create new parts and derive A2  choosing the parts you need to place in A1. The new parts will maintaing the same A2 coordinate  system.

- Place these new parts in A1. Use "ground and root" (as explained before) to place the parts  in the proper place.

Option - 2

- Save as A2 (as A2B)

- Place A2B Within A1.

- Ground all parts and delete the parts you don´t need. Use "Promote", and promote assembly A2B  (their parts became in the top level of A1).

- Now the parts you need are all promoted, you can delete de A2B. The parts are automatically placed and grounded in the proper position.

- Resolve bad constrains (due deleting parts).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 7 of 7
dixie237

Thanks for the reply.

Your scenario is correct. I will try both methods and see which suits my workflow best.

I come from a (20 year) Catia background, and whilst I am learning the Inventor way, its always tough when there is no easy process translation between systems.

In Catia its a copy/paste function for this.

Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Dean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report