I have several parts designed "car line" in their respective parts.
I would like to simply add them to an assy in their respective axis positions.
Obviously "place" drops in in an arbitory position to then be "Assembled". Not what I am looking for.
I was looking for a copy/ paste function between part / assy but there seems no way to paste into an assy.
Can anybody help me please?
If i am following your thoughts, you want to place the part and make coincident the part's coordinate system with the assembly's coordinate system?
If so, place the parts, select each one and go to the "productivity" tab and select "Ground Root Component".
That's the one. Thank you Carlos.
Continuing that train of thought.
If I have 2 assemblies, and I want to copy out a part and place it, in the same relative axis position between the assemblies. How would I do that?
Why don´t you use the same process? The part from the assembly 2 doesnt have a propper "axis " position, but the assembly have? Is that?
What I am trying to imagine doing is having a part designed around 0,0,0. This is then positioned into an assy away from the 0,0,0.
A 2nd assy is created, and the part needs to be taken from the first assy, and dropped into this new assy in the identical position as the first assy....a copy/paste operation. Hope thats clear. :-)
You have Assembly1 (A1) and Assembly2 (A2): Coordinate system is equal in A1 and A2.
You need to place parts from A2 in A1, mantaining the relative position they have in A2 but in A1.
I dón't know any automatic process to do that. I let here two ideas. Personally i'd choose the option 2.
Option - 1
- Create new parts and derive A2 choosing the parts you need to place in A1. The new parts will maintaing the same A2 coordinate system.
- Place these new parts in A1. Use "ground and root" (as explained before) to place the parts in the proper place.
Option - 2
- Save as A2 (as A2B)
- Place A2B Within A1.
- Ground all parts and delete the parts you don´t need. Use "Promote", and promote assembly A2B (their parts became in the top level of A1).
- Now the parts you need are all promoted, you can delete de A2B. The parts are automatically placed and grounded in the proper position.
- Resolve bad constrains (due deleting parts).
Thanks for the reply.
Your scenario is correct. I will try both methods and see which suits my workflow best.
I come from a (20 year) Catia background, and whilst I am learning the Inventor way, its always tough when there is no easy process translation between systems.
In Catia its a copy/paste function for this.
Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated.