Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driven Arc Length Dimension and Rebuild Error

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
caldun
919 Views, 12 Replies

Driven Arc Length Dimension and Rebuild Error

I'm trying to use the new arc length dimension feature in Inventor 2013 and I am having some trouble. After I apply a driven arc length dimension to a fully constrained sketch and then put user dimension in a user parameter I get an error when I rebuild the part. The error states the the dimension can not be solved.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
EScales
in reply to: caldun

I'm getting a resolve link error.  It's looking for the C03_S25_Adv Skeleton.ipt

Can you attach that file as well?

Message 3 of 13
caldun

Message 4 of 13
EScales

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do.  I don't see any errors.  I see your user parameter "Length" is a sum of 5 other reference parameters.  How are you trying to use the "Length" parameter?

Message 5 of 13
caldun
in reply to: EScales

As the shape of the pipe is changed in the skeleton the driven parameters update and the overall length of the pipe then updates automatically which is used for a variety of purposes outside of Inventor. The issue is whenever I click the rebuild button inventor tells me that the driven dimensions can no longer be calculated, which makes no sense because they work fine prior to 'rebuilding'. This problem does not occur if I take the driven arc length dimensions out of the calculated 'Length' user parameter.

Message 6 of 13
EScales

Ok, so I got an error when I did the update this time.  When I read the error, it note a problem with CR Sweep Path in the C03_25_Adv Skeleton.ipt

I opened the skeleton part and edited the CR Sweep Path sketch and I noticed the Design Doctor (red cross in the quick access toolbar) was highlighted.  I clicked through the dialog boxes and it show me a couple of dimensions that it said could not be solved.  I'm not sure why, but all I did was edit the dimension that I have circled below.  I didn't even change anything, just open the edit dialog box and click ok and it corrected it.  I tried changing a couple dimensions in the Pole 2 YZ Layout sketch and then went back to the Pole part and did an update.  It worked this time.  Strange, but it seemed to fix it.

CR_Sweep_Path.PNG

Message 7 of 13
caldun

What happens when you "rebuild" the C03_S25_Adv Pole2.ipt file? Do you get an error in Sketch3?

Message 8 of 13
EScales

Yes, I did get an error in Sketch3.  I edited the sketch and deleted the 3 arc length dimensions and placed them again and finished the sketch.  I went back to the skeleton and tried changing the dimensions a couple of times and each time I went back to the pole part and did a rebuild, it updated and worked ok.

Message 9 of 13
caldun

Okay, after you deleted the arc dimensions and replaced them, did you add the new dimensions to the Length parameter before you did a rebuild? And still had no problems?

Message 10 of 13
EScales

Ahhh...I forgot that part.  Yep, you're right.  I'm getting the error again after replacing the dimensions in the Length parameter.  It only seems to be the arc length dimensions that have a problem.  The straight sections at the top and bottom are fine.

Message 11 of 13
caldun

Exactly, so there's obviously a bug or a glitch somewhere involving arc length parameters inside calculated parameters. Does anybody have a fix?

Message 12 of 13
scott_ainsworth

I'm now working in Inventor 2020.  I seem to have encountered the same error.  I have Driven Arc Length dimensions in a sketch.  If the dimensions are used in equations for other parameters,  They cause an error on change of other driving dimensions.  It's not very consistent but is very frustrating.

Attached it a file in case anyone wants to investigate.

Message 13 of 13

Hi Scott,

I believe this could be a constraint solver bug or a arc-length dimension bug. However, I would have done it differently. The thin sketch here is an over kill. I would delete the outer arcs and lines. Then extrude it as a surface. And, thicken it as a solid body. It should work better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report