Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive adaptive spring within subassembly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
twharding
2499 Views, 6 Replies

Drive adaptive spring within subassembly

Hi,

I am working on a macpherson suspension model and have created a shock absorber which can be compressed by driving a constraint on the spring. I did this following a guide so don't fully understand how it works. I then added this as a sub assembly to the suspension system and the option to drive constraint was gone - all I can do is open the sub assembly, change the constraint and close it to refresh the whole system. After searching for people with similar problems I tried making the whole sub-assembly adaptable. This allows the damper to contract but the spring does not move. Making the sub-assembly flexible doesn't work either. If anyone wouldn't mind making a suggestion or taking a look at the project I would be extremely grateful! The adaptive spring tutorial I followed was http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/inventor-adaptivity-and-springs/.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: twharding

First thing I noticed is that none of the parts in your subassembly are grounded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
twharding

Hi,

I have tried grounding both halves of the damper and even the spring but the spring still remains stationary when everything else is driven, despite the fact that it works fine within the subassembly

Message 4 of 7
scottmoyse

I think there could be a bug with respect to the Drive Adaptivity check box. It seems that it will work sometimes but easily fail if mucked about with a bit. I ditched your main assembly, saved as the strut assy. deleted all its components. Then I tiled the component windows and dragged the components from Main Assembly to Main Assembly New... leaving behind the strut. I placed the strut again, then promoted the spring to the Main assembly. At which point driving the constraint worked. I toggled off adaptivity on the strut assy and turned on flexibility, driving the constraint failed. I undid the steps back to the point where it was working, but it continued to fail (odd). So I undid it back to the point where the spring was still part of the strut assembly and promoted it again. Which is the state the attached assembly is in now.

So this will work fine for animation purposes. It actually worked fine previously, except it only refreshed the view once you exited the drive constraint dialogue. However, if you need the spring to be part of the sub-assembly for BOM purposes then more work will need to be done to get to the bottom of this. I've spent 30-45 mins mucking about with this for my own interest so far.

I'm going to test this in 2015 beta. It it's a problem there as well I will submit it as an issue... but I won't be able to report back here on the progress unfortunately, unless I find out the problem and there's a workaround for 2014 🙂

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 7
twharding
in reply to: scottmoyse

This is just for animation purposes so your solution is perfect! It still seems to give "Cannot solve at (or near) this point" errors occasionally which don't go away once i undo whatever I did to trigger it, but I've got it in a fragile state that is working now. Can't thank you enough for your time, I could have spent hours getting more and more frustrated with it!
Message 6 of 7
scottmoyse

You're welcome. Also welcome to the forum, I didn't notice your post count until now. We hope to see you around some more.

Just a note, some credit should be given to Paul Munford for sharing this on Twitter and tagging in Design and Motion, otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen this.

In addtion, in the future, feel free to paste a link to a post from this forum within the commenting section of a Design and Motion post you have been using. That way we get to see the post has been of some use & also help you out along with other people on this forum. In addition anyone else finding the post on the blog will be able to navigate to your thread on this forum for further information, as well as learn from other users experience.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 7
PaulMunford

Well done Scott.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report