Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawings - "Break" view and Parametric parts

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Scott_Stubbington
1588 Views, 8 Replies

Drawings - "Break" view and Parametric parts

Hello, 🙂

I have a paramtric assembly and some of the parts in this assembly require a "Break".  When the part dramatically reduces in size the part view disappears as the part is now located in the "Break".  Delete the "Break", re apply the "Break" fixes the problem, however this is a little frustrating.

I would like to be able to constrain a Break to the part, either a sketch on the view or maybe from Workplanes in the part.

Thanks

Scott 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Scott,

What version and SP are you running of Inventor?

What I would like to know is, why are the parts dramtically changing in size?

If you have a scale specified for the drawing view, and your sketch is constrained to the view

I am not getting what exactly you are talking about.

Can you provide some images as well?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9

Hello Scott,

Inventor 2013, SP not installed yet....

I cannot provides images this week as I'm at home.  I will next week.

Imagine you have a pipe, cut into the pipe are a load of holes.  The pipe is 6m long, 0.5m each end is clear of holes, then the middle 5m of the pipe there is a hole every 200mm.  I have a section through a hole to define the hole detail. I have a "Break" on the viewfrom 1m to 5m leaving 1m of pipe each end showing.  Some person tweaks the assembly and the pipe is now only 3m long, 4m of the original view is "Break" view which now completely covers the tweaked pipe and I have to "sigh" redo the views.

I hope that helps

Thanks

Scott  

Message 4 of 9

Unfortunately, there is no way to directly constrain a break view.  This ability has been requested for a while now, but...

If a break view is a must (as it is for some of our drawings), there is a workaround.  What we do is outlined below:

1. Place the base view of the model.

2. Create a breakout view (which is defined by a sketch attached to the view, and this sketch can be constrained to model geometry) that takes out the middle portion of the view that we don't want to show.

3. Create detail views of each end of the base view.  This allows us to control the spacing between the views, and ensures that the views will not jump off the page when the model gets longer/shorter.  Be sure to attach the detail view to an area of the model that will not move relative to your break edge.

4. Align the detail views to each other.

5. Add a sketch or sketched symbol for the break line.

6. Move the base view off the printable area (or suppress the view), as it is only used for building the other views.  This view will get longer and shorter as the model changes, so it isn't useful as a real drawing view.

It's a lot of extra work for something that Inventor should just do for me, but like I said, it's a workaround.  So far it has served us well.

Edit: If you like, I can post a simple example of this when I get some time.

Message 5 of 9
Dstr5000
in reply to: cwhetten

Hello! I'd like to humbly request an example of what you outlined here, in regards to creating a "break out view" to constrain a break to a part. If needed, attached is an example of how I am trying to get a part to fit on a page using break views, but the break views as is now have to constantly be monitored and modified when parts change in length. I hope this makes sense. 

Message 6 of 9
cwhetten
in reply to: Dstr5000

Hi.  I will be away from my workstation until the 27th of July.  When I return, I will be happy to post an example.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 7 of 9
cwhetten

Here is a video showing the process:

;

http://autode.sk/1I03pEN

Also, attached is a zip file containing the drawing and part file shown in the video.  They are version 2014.

Unfortunately, this workaround probably won't work for you.  This method doesn't allow you to dimension across the breaks.  We used it for an assembly drawing of a conveyor to show components at each end, so we didn't need to do any dimensions across the break.  It worked for us, but it obviously has some serious limitations...

Maybe you can find a way to get it to work for you.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 8 of 9
Dstr5000
in reply to: cwhetten

Thank you Cameron! 

While this does not 100% solve my problem, it sure does help and stir the pot to think of other ways to get this to work. I will keep searching and thinking. Of course, let me know if you discover a way to constrain those breaks to part geometry. Thanks for your help!

-Dusty

Message 9 of 9
cwhetten

There is an IdeaStation post to formally request this feature:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/control-location-break-lines-with-a-sketch/idi-p/...

Head over there and give it your vote!

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report