Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
chris
Message 1 of 5 (168 Views)
Accepted Solution

Drawings for catalog??

168 Views, 4 Replies
02-19-2014 09:39 AM

I have an assortment of parts that I have been tasked to assemble into a catalog for use by the sales staff.

I only need the drawing to show the part(s) and some overall size dimensions with one orthogonal view.

I'm good on exporting a veiw from the model to jpeg, but I'm having difficulty with getting dimensions to show with an iam or ipt file.

Is there an easy way, that I am missing, to generate a jpeg/bmp of this?  I will not be using any title blocks etc.  I would prefer not to generate an idw, and then cut a portion. 

Thanks,

Chris

Hi chris,

I think you'll need to create a drawing (*.idw) and add the required views and dimensions, then use the Save Copy As > *.jpg or *.bmp option to create the image file.

Note that you can delete the title block and border from the drawing (locate them in the browser and right click and choose delete) if those items are not desired.

Also, it might be helpful to go to the Tools tab > Document Settings tab > Sheet tab, and change the color of the drawing Sheet to white. You might want to do all of this and create a template file to use for these types of drawings.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Thanks for the suggestions.  They put me on the right track.

What I did was create my view and add dimensions as needed.  I changed the layout color to white.  Then deleted the tile block and border.  Finally, I edited the sheet size to 6 X 4.  When I exported, I got a nice small jpeg; worked perfectly...

Chris

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 5 (157 Views)

Re: Drawings for catalog??

02-19-2014 10:04 AM in reply to: chris

Hi chris,

I think you'll need to create a drawing (*.idw) and add the required views and dimensions, then use the Save Copy As > *.jpg or *.bmp option to create the image file.

Note that you can delete the title block and border from the drawing (locate them in the browser and right click and choose delete) if those items are not desired.

Also, it might be helpful to go to the Tools tab > Document Settings tab > Sheet tab, and change the color of the drawing Sheet to white. You might want to do all of this and create a template file to use for these types of drawings.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 5 (136 Views)

02-19-2014 10:51 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Our sales "datasheets" are created exactly like that..

I just create a drawing (idw)..remove the border/title block.. add dimensions and print to pdf.. They (marketing team) simply insert the PDF and off they go..

In fact I had to do so many that I created a new idw template with the border/title block already gone and a custom paper size all set up.. Takes a minute or so and its done..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Valued Contributor
CAG_DRAFT
Message 4 of 5 (115 Views)

02-19-2014 04:49 PM in reply to: chris

This job is what prompted me to make this IdeaStation Request

The ability to simply set up sheets with some dimensioned views and a 'realistic'/studio style view would be a godsend.

Active Contributor
chris
Message 5 of 5 (82 Views)

02-21-2014 06:56 AM in reply to: chris

Thanks for the suggestions.  They put me on the right track.

What I did was create my view and add dimensions as needed.  I changed the layout color to white.  Then deleted the tile block and border.  Finally, I edited the sheet size to 6 X 4.  When I exported, I got a nice small jpeg; worked perfectly...

Chris

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.