Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Templates and Title Blocks

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
SeanFarr
5566 Views, 13 Replies

Drawing Templates and Title Blocks

This is a general question, does anyone have more than one drawing template? (we use A and B size sheets)

My questions concerns,

• metric vs imperial
  • A vs B vs C etc etc drawing sheet size
  • title block does not scale down accordingly when change sheet size within an existing drawing template.

Is it possible to have one drawing template that can be toggle imperial vs metric, and then sheet size selected and then the title block scaled down or up accordingly? (I would assume this could be done using iLogic)

Or is it normal to have different drawing templates for sizes and units?

Thanks for any input!!

Sean

APDS Ultimate 2013

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Paul-Mason
in reply to: SeanFarr

By this do you mean a different size Title block for each different size of sheet.

Then yes I have different size for each sheet size however my sheets are the European A size series.

I created my set base on the A4 sheet size, the smallest of the A series in inventor, with a scaling of A4 = 1:1, A3=1.5:1, A2 2:1, A1=2.5:1 and A0=3:1

I also do parts & drawings in Metric and Imperial but ONLY USE the A series of sheets but I do have different templates, just a different color text in the title block for metric and imperial along with a different color text in the style file for the measurement s in a dwg. I'll attach them to this post, if IE10 will let me.

Would it not be much more convenient to set the "BEST FIT" in the print options if you using different sheet size series I.E. B sizes bets fit to A3 or A4 size to A this is all I do for a A0 to A4 print and it also works quite well for US A to A4/A3 with out any real loss in presentation or quality.

Here we go again only one attachment per post so first one is my inch template the images should be OK as there in bedded not linked so should show up

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 3 of 14
Paul-Mason

And the metric trmplate. Agin the images are in bedded.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 4 of 14
mikejones

I use some iLogic code to change the sheet size which then swaps out the border and title block accordingly if you're interested in it. You would still need to have a title block for each size/units variation required to be in the template file but after that it's simpe to change sheets.

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 14
SeanFarr
in reply to: Paul-Mason

@Paul-Mason wrote:

Would it not be much more convenient to set the "BEST FIT" in the print options if

This was one of the topics brought up recently, best fit leaves larger margins at he top and bottom of the drawings, in our drawings anyways. typically I draw all my projects on our largest printable size, which is 11x7 (B size), and this works well. Sometimes the drawings get laminated and currently our largest size we can laminate is 8.5x11 (A size),

so when selecting best fit from during the print sequence, the margins appear.

I can edit the sheet size of the drawing and scale down all views on the sheet to fix this, but the title block doesn't scale down when changing sheet sizes, so my title block is massive on a A size sheet. I am assuming there is a logic code that can edit the title block to scale down.

my ideal solution would be to have one template, but have 2 prompt appear when opening the template:

1. ask the user if drawing is to be done in metric or imperial
  2. ask the user what size of drawing is to be used and then scale the title block accordingly.

Does this seem to far fetched?

Mike Jones, if you don't mind sharing you iLogic code, maybe it is possible to achieve these options. It sounds like you already have a portion of it done!!

Much Appreciated!

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 6 of 14
SBix26

We have three templates: Standard (inch), Metric, & Dual Dimension.  Each template has five borders for the five different sheet sizes that we use, and two title blocks which differ only in scale.  The small title block is used on A and B size drawings, the large one on C, D & E.  These are made into sheet formats, but we also have an iLogic rule that runs when a new drawing is created and offers the size choice, then prompts for three prompted entries (with suggested defaults), then places appropriate border and title block.  This rule can also be run manually at any time to change the sheet size without losing prompted entries.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 14
Paul-Mason
in reply to: SBix26

Similar to what I've got but I change them manually, I also get a good result when creating a PDF file from Drawing files when using title blocks that are made to suite the sheet size and printing that PDF at a smaller size

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 8 of 14
mikejones

Not a problem, I will do it this evening.

Message 9 of 14
SeanFarr
in reply to: SBix26

So if I understand your post, you can use iLogic to choose which size of sheet you want, and based on that choice, the appropriate titleblock is inserted?

So in each drawing template, you have 2 different titleblocks? I didn't know this was possible,

Thanks!

Ignore this image attached, it is a test! haha

Sean Farr

Message 10 of 14
SBix26

Our templates contain five different borders and two different title blocks.  They're stored in the Drawing Resources folder at the top of the browser.  We also have five different sheet formats containing a border and title block, but those are used mainly for adding sheets to a drawing (rare in our business).

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 11 of 14
mikejones

Yes that's correct. The one template could be metric or imperial aswell as it is the styles used which dictate dimension types etc. The ilogic I use changes the sheet size, border and title block and if swapping to or from A0 size sheets it also changes the active style to account for different text heights.

Mike

Message 12 of 14
mikejones

I   have attached the template file in the end as I could think how to strip out the iLogic code and the iLogic form. 

The form is instigated by the iTrigger icon and relies on a pre-defined user parameter which is a list of sheet sizes. Once selected the code looks at the user parameter and swaps out the border and title block accordingly. I'm sure the code could be a lot neater but it works so thats good enough for me Smiley Happy

Mike

Message 13 of 14
SeanFarr
in reply to: mikejones

Thanks! I'll take a look once I'm back in the office tomorrow...

Sean Farr
Sean Farr

Message 14 of 14
SeanFarr
in reply to: mikejones

Template will help me get going in the right direction, I will marked this thread as solved, as it seems that I will be able to create one template file and use iLogic to customize the template to specifics.

Once I get into the iLogic part, I will most likely need some assistance (programming skills are weak) but I will post a new thread in the customization forum.

Thanks All!

Sean Farr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report