Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing styles tutorial - problem

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sandyscott
1192 Views, 3 Replies

Drawing styles tutorial - problem

Hi,

I'm new to Inventor, and working my way through the various tutorials, and I'm having trouble with the drawing styles tutorial.

The last bit of the "Object Defaults and Standards" section says "The dimensions in the drawing update to use the period decimal marker" - They don't.

New dimensions are created with the correct style, but existing ones don't update automatically - I can replace them manually with Annotate > Format > Select Style, or by replacing the Default Dimension style with the modified one in the Style Editor.

Is there a step missing from the tutorial, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sandy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: sandyscott

That's because you created a new object standard. the older dimensions still have the "old" default standard applied.

Ctrl-Pick the "old" dimensions and select a new Dimension standard, OR modify the default standard.

From the Tutorial:

Click Save. Expand the Standard node, select Default Standard (ISO), and create a standard named Modified Standard (ISO).

On the Available Styles tab, select Dimension Modified (ISO) style.

On the Object Defaults tab, set Active Object Defaults to Modified Object Defaults (ISO). Click Save, and double-click Modified Standard (ISO).

The standard name changes to bold type to indicate it is active.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 4
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: sandyscott

I'd seriously consider taking a class on Inventor so that you can be productive more quickly.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 4
sandyscott
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

I understand how I can create and edit dimension styles, and make them available in a drawing standard, then I can change the style that a particular dimension is using.

Here's what's confusing me:

I've created a new standard that uses the "modified" dimension style, and activated the standard

On a new dimension

I click on the Select Style drop down

The list shows all the dimension styles I've chosen to make available, which is a property of the new standard

However, the top item shows "By Standard (Modified)",  which implies that the dimension is still using the new standard

On an existing dimension

I click on the Select Style drop down (with an existing dimension selected)

The list shows all the dimension styles I've chosen to make available, which is a property of the new standard

However, the top item shows "By Standard (Default)",  which implies that the dimension is still using the old standard

I'm not sure why existing dimensions behave like this, can you force the whole drawing to update and use the new standard?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report