Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing - Section - Reference parts?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mthomas
6857 Views, 12 Replies

Drawing - Section - Reference parts?

In a drawing Is there anyway to section (and show the hatch pattern) on reference components?

Mike Thomas

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi,

Is this what you are looking for,

http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/inventor/add-reference-components-your-assemblies-10231

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 13

Not really. I understand how to create reference parts and that is working fine. It's when I create a drawing view of an assembly that contains reference parts, then section that drawing view. I am using the option for my reference parts to be displayed as parts and it sections the reference parts, it just doesn't show the hatch pattern on the reference parts

Mike Thomas

Message 4 of 13

Thanks for the update. Can you provide me a sample model and drawing. Also provide me steps on what you have done with the drawing. This would help me to understand the issue better.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 5 of 13

Vinod,

I think I understand what Mike is saying.  Have a simple assembly that has 3 parts all in the relatively same plane, make the outside ones reference (under iProperties in the assembly context).

Create a base view of that assembly (adjusting the view margin so that you can see the outside reference parts.

Even if you say "As Parts" under line style in the view dialog, we don't crosshatch the reference parts.

Right Mike?

If I have it right Mike, there is no way to accomplish what you are asking for.  The As Parts option is simply which layer do you want the reference geometry to appear on basically.

Reference parts still have several baked in rules that are not overridable, such as not contributing to mass properties, not being sectioned, etc.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 13
harco
in reply to: SteveMDennis

You might try a derived phantom part, this should keep goemetric updates from original part but keep it out of the BOM.

You should be able to section, yes it's a work around but if it gets what you want.

Other than that sketch and fill.

Message 7 of 13
mthomas
in reply to: harco

Thank you for the response and the suggestion. A phantom part might work in this situation, it is definitely worth investigating

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 8 of 13
SteveMDennis
in reply to: mthomas

Mike,

Help me understand your workflow a bit more please.  Our original intent was that reference parts were likely from  a vendor or other source and likely would be imported bodies probably without design intent like a shrinkwrap, etc.

We were thinking that there is no need to crosshatch such parts because the internals would likely not be correct anyway and this way you know they are not part of your design.

Any insight into your intent or workflow would be nice.

Thanks

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
mthomas

In the drawing that prompted this question it was a modification of an existing design that the customer already had. What we were attempting to show were the new parts that were added to the weldment and where they needed to be welded. As we don't want to show the existing parts in the BOM we tagged them as reference. However having the existing parts (reference) not section made the views difficult to understand, hence wanting to see the cross-hatching.

Hope this makes sense

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 10 of 13
SteveMDennis

That makes perfect sense Mike. Not a workflow we had ever thought of.

I wonder if a property of "Not in BOM" and/or "Not in Mass Props" would be valuable? Then you could set them independently from reference...

Reference has the nasty side effect of the whole Margin value. (Don't get me started on that!)

Thanks,

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 13
mthomas

Personally I think reference works exactly how we want, except that the option within the drawing for reference parts to behave like parts should actually means it behaves like parts... margins, hidden lines, sectioning, everythiing exepct appearing in the BOM / Parts List / Balloons.

So maybe a new option, leave the existing functionallity but a new "super" option that forces Inventor to treat reference data just like regular non-reference data, at least when it comes to drawing views.

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 12 of 13
SteveMDennis

Mike,

The option "as Part" is only for the aesthetic look, nothing else. Just like As reference is too.  These are visual appearance options.  Making the change you suggest would be a bigger undertaking with wider ramifications.

Thanks for the discussion

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 13
p.rybar

Any progress in sectioning reference parts? We use them to locate smaller assemblies in the large ones and the crosshatch would be perfect for our production (we print drawings only B&W)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report