Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard Problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
avaya2012
1386 Views, 6 Replies

Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard Problem

I recently had an issue with the Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard.  I went to go update a drawing and my custom title block was no longer an option to choose.  I believe I used it Monday and it worked fine.  I don't remember anything happening that I thought could have caused this.  My title block is still set up and working fine in Inventor.  I am using Inventor 2013.  Anybody know what could cause this?

Thanks,

CWW

kcco

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: avaya2012

Need some more info on the workflow... You're saying that the TB is in your current drawing file in IV but when you specify that exact drawing as the "source" file, the TB is not there (i.e. Are specifying the correct drawing file as the "source")?
Inventor Professional
Message 3 of 7
avaya2012
in reply to: jeanchile

No, that doesnt sound quite right.  I open an old drawing with our old TB.  I check it out from Vault and save it like I am supposed to.  The new title block is obviously not in the drawing.  I then close Inventor and open the DRTW and select the drawing I need to update.  The next window is where I select my new title block to insert into the drawing.  My new title block is no longer there so I basically have to go back into Inventor, delete the drawing, and remake it with the correct title block.  I have never had an issue like this before.

Message 4 of 7
jeanchile
in reply to: avaya2012

We don't use Vault here so that may be complicating things with steps I don't have to take but when I use the Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard (which we do fairly often) the basic steps are this:

1.) Create the content to be "transfered" in a drawing (our standard templates, project specific drawings, whatever).

2.) Start the Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard and click next.

3.) The DRTW then asks me for the "SOURCE" drawing (i.e. the drawing that already HAS the title block we are transfering).

4.) Once that "SOURCE" drawing is selected the "resources" (i.e. title block in this example) populate the list where you select the Title Block as the "resource" you want to transfer.

5.) After clicking next you are asked to select the "Target" drawings. This is the drawing files you want to receive the transferred "resource" (i.e. the drawing that doesn't have the title block that you want it to have".

What I am saying is that I think you have the workflow incorrect and you are selecting your "Target" drawings as your "Source"drawings. You need to specify the drawing that already has the TB as the source, then you can tell it where to copy that TB.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 7
avaya2012

Actually that may have confused me more.  I have done this hundreds of times in the past year.  I have the Wizard open now so I can say everything step by step.

1. Main Wizard screen. Click Next.

Well that seems weird.  I followed your steps a little closer and got it to work.  It almost seems like there is an extra step in there from what I am used to.  I dont know...I must be drunk.

Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 7
CSVGOMAIL

I follow your instruction and on the third step, the window where it show the Source Resources does not have rules and forms. Is there a way to transfer Rules and Forms other then turning them into External? I'm currently using Inventor 2015.

Thanks,

CSV

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: CSVGOMAIL

Hi! This is an interesting idea. I don't think there is a way to push out existing internal rules externally. The issue is that what if there is naming conflict. Which rule will win? Regardless, this is a good idea. Could you post an idea on Inventor Ideas forum?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report