Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Part Number advice

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Talayoe
1473 Views, 4 Replies

Drawing Part Number advice

Hello all,

I have taken on a a project to re-create.... many (MANY!) old hand drawings into CAD to move this particular component into the future a bit. We dont have a specific pattern or numbering system for large scale projects and I wondered if I could get a few examples of how you do this;

What we will have is parts, assemblies, possibly a few sub assemblies and drawings.

At the moment I have the few I have done listed with like so

BSL-RF-001 <-- Part file name with incremental number

BSL-RF-A-001 <-- Assembly "" "" ""

BSL-RF-D-001 <-- Drawing "" "" " " "

Most of my drawings will be in D size with multiple parts shown on each. As such I will be listing a drawing number on said drawing with each part number listed on each individual part.

As said, just curious what other people are doing for these kind of things.

tks much!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: Talayoe

We generally follow our ERP system for the Assembly and Part drawings. AML10000 for the main assembly AMR10000-xxx for all parts that make up the assembly (these would be for weldments were the sub parts are never sold by them selves. You need to remember if you are using a ERP system as soon as you select Alpha-Numeric numbering the data field is LH justified (computer will read the part number from LH to RH) and will sort items as follows even though because zero comes after nine in Alpha numbering. You will want your fields to be the same length for the primary sorts. 009 011 012 013 ... 010 021

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
IgorMir
in reply to: Talayoe

Hi,

Try this link: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Part-Numbering-Conventions/m-p/4676969#M491144

The topic had been discussed many a times before.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: IgorMir

The drawing for a part or an assembly in general "should" be the same filename as the part or assy. Why? well because I said so 🙂 and Inventor expects it to be like that if you ever use the "open drawing" functionality from in the iam or ipt..

So you might have

part1.ipt (part file)

part1.idw (drawing for part 1.ipt)

assembly1.iam (assembly file)

assembly1.idw (drawing file for assembly.iam)

Thats really all you need to know.. Other than that its all company specific numbering scheme..

As we use the same parts on multiple assemblies I never try to use some numbering scheme that implies one part is used for a specific assembly. 

Heck just start at 1.ipt then 2.ipt,etc.. Some ERP systems also auto-generate the next part number so you might look into that too (assuming your ERP does that..but I suspect sadly you don't even have an ERP system)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 5
pball
in reply to: mcgyvr

We name our parts and assemblies with the job number our ERP system gives as the major part of the part number. That way we can always track a part/assembly to the original job it was created on.

Also remember, like my boss has said many times "It's only a number". Which explains all the time he wasted arguing over the format of something that is "only a number". lol

(the second part is mostly a joke)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report