Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
29 Posts
2 Kudos
Post 1 of 5

Drawing of a mirrored part

638 Views, 4 Replies
12-20-2011 07:14 AM

I have a sheet metal part with a fully dimensioned drawing made for it. I then make a mirrored (derived) part out of the original. Is there an easy way to get a fully dimensioned drawing of that mirrored part?

I have tried making a copy of the original parts drawing and then replacing the model that is referenced in the drawing but that just gets me a drawing with a bunch of pink dimensions and I have to drag all the dimension points to reattach them.

Inventor 2012

Valued Mentor
1,123 Posts
74 Kudos
Post 2 of 5

Re: Drawing of a mirrored part

12-20-2011 07:31 AM in reply to: prachu

I find the note, "part x as drawn, part y opp hand" works for me

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Active Contributor
29 Posts
2 Kudos
Post 3 of 5

12-20-2011 07:35 AM in reply to: prachu

It woudl be nice if I could do that, but the shop wants a complete drawing for both parts all the time.

Distinguished Mentor
546 Posts
53 Kudos
Post 4 of 5

12-20-2011 06:07 PM in reply to: prachu

You can do it using iParts. Create a child which is Mirrored with the origin removed. That Mirror feature is a last feature in the browser. In Author table suppress the Mirror feature where needed.

When detailing - select the corresponding child for the view you want to have. Granted, you might have some cleaning to do with dimensions - but nothing to compare with creating a new drawing every time you need a mirrored part detailed.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Active Contributor
29 Posts
2 Kudos
Post 5 of 5

12-21-2011 04:14 AM in reply to: IgorMir

That does the same thing as what I was trying with derived parts. When I switch to the mirrored part all the dimensions are detached. The clean up can be a bit easier than making a whole new drawing, but I was hoping there was a way to keep the dimensions attached to the correct spot when going to the mirror somehow.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post