Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
prachu
Message 1 of 5 (553 Views)

Drawing of a mirrored part

553 Views, 4 Replies
12-20-2011 07:14 AM

I have a sheet metal part with a fully dimensioned drawing made for it. I then make a mirrored (derived) part out of the original. Is there an easy way to get a fully dimensioned drawing of that mirrored part?

I have tried making a copy of the original parts drawing and then replacing the model that is referenced in the drawing but that just gets me a drawing with a bunch of pink dimensions and I have to drag all the dimension points to reattach them.

Inventor 2012

Valued Mentor
stephengibson76
Message 2 of 5 (546 Views)

Re: Drawing of a mirrored part

12-20-2011 07:31 AM in reply to: prachu

I find the note, "part x as drawn, part y opp hand" works for me

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Active Contributor
prachu
Message 3 of 5 (543 Views)

12-20-2011 07:35 AM in reply to: prachu

It woudl be nice if I could do that, but the shop wants a complete drawing for both parts all the time.

Distinguished Mentor
IgorMir
Message 4 of 5 (522 Views)

12-20-2011 06:07 PM in reply to: prachu

You can do it using iParts. Create a child which is Mirrored with the origin removed. That Mirror feature is a last feature in the browser. In Author table suppress the Mirror feature where needed.

When detailing - select the corresponding child for the view you want to have. Granted, you might have some cleaning to do with dimensions - but nothing to compare with creating a new drawing every time you need a mirrored part detailed.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Active Contributor
prachu
Message 5 of 5 (503 Views)

12-21-2011 04:14 AM in reply to: IgorMir

That does the same thing as what I was trying with derived parts. When I switch to the mirrored part all the dimensions are detached. The clean up can be a bit easier than making a whole new drawing, but I was hoping there was a way to keep the dimensions attached to the correct spot when going to the mirror somehow.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.