Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing not updating to assembly changes

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
nbjones
5059 Views, 8 Replies

Drawing not updating to assembly changes

Hey guys.  Got a little bit of a conundrum here....

I have a drawing of an assembly with approx. 15 parts.  I dimensioned and notated everything on the drawing as I usually would, and everything seemed fine.  I have now gone back to that assembly a while later to adjust the position of some of the parts.  When I open the drawing, however, these changes do not show up in the drawing environment.  All of the parts are still in their original positions, even though in the assembly they are in new locations.

I've checked and it seems that the drawing views are referencing the correct assembly model.  I tried deleting and replacing the dimensions, but that does not change dimension value to be correct.  I also checked to make sure the "Defer update" box in the Options window is not selected.

If I place a new base view of the same assembly in the same drawing, it shows up with the new locations, but the original base view will not update.

I really would prefer not to delete the entire drawing and start over.  Can somebody help me out?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: nbjones

Edit your base view and check this box..(See attached) IMO this box should always be checked.. and I believe once you check it the box will always stay checked for future drawings.

Now here is another thing to remember.. If you have that box checked you cannot turn off visibility of parts in the IDW.. IDW part visibility is then controlled by a design view rep in the assembly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
nbjones
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for your reply mcgyvr.  Unfortunately, I saw that solution on another post and tried it already.  The drawing won't seem to update whether the associativity box is checked or not.

Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 9
JohnnyLongarms

Have you tried making a new drawing yet? Atleast to see if the parts show up in the proper positions? 'Cause if they don't, I'm guessing there is a more complicated problem than old drawing being saved and not updating. 

Now that the box is checked, you might also want to try making another drawing (if the positions are correct in the new drawing, continue) and changing the assembly again.. see if now the new drawing is updated. Maybe the box has to be checked before the drawing or changes are made?

Sorry I'm sure this won't fix anything.. but something to see while you wait for a proper response. 

I have had the same problem before, and I just usually re-do the drawings. =(

Message 5 of 9
nbjones
in reply to: JohnnyLongarms

@JohnnyLongarms

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said in my original post, if I create a new base view of the assembly in the drawing, it works normally, updating to changes I make in the assembly.  But the original base view won't update.

Looks like I might end up redoing the drawing... drat.

Message 6 of 9
harco

If there are positional reps they could be holding the views.

Also check flexibility, adaptivity and limit constraints.

If you need to create new views use the move dimension command on RMB shortcut of an original view dimension, I find this handy as the dimension will just jump to the same position on the new view.

It doesn't always work if Inventor can't match the entities.

Hopeful this is helpful.

Message 7 of 9
nbjones

So... after playing around with the drawing for another 30 mins or so, I don't know the reason, but I found a work-around:

I went into the drawing view dialog box for the base view, changed the Level of Detail from Master to All Content Center Suppressed, and hit ok.  Then the drawing updated to the new dimensions.  I switched it back to Master, and the view kept the new dimensions.  If I make more changes to the assembly, it doesn't update until I go through this process.

Not sure why this works, but it does.  Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Message 8 of 9
alihillaldam

I know your frustration as I experience it now.

After ... loads of work and trying to "work smart not hard" by using iParts and iAssemblies and creating Factory Table and going through 10 pages of drawings with dimensions, suddenly I decided to change something on the table but after that I lost the link and I received the attached message with no solution provided.

Something is wrong in the background because Inventor crashes a lot when I push the limits specially when I use Factory.

FYI, the update doesn't do anything and there is a "RED-Update icon" beside my part on the left which I have no idea how to get rid of it. Please, don't blame my system it is Dell Precision M4500 + Inventor 2014.

Message 9 of 9

Inventor does not stop calculating the drawing views and the Inventor process has to be killed in the task manager.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Hopefully, this solution will help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report