Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing gauge points

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
t_sheen
1241 Views, 7 Replies

Drawing gauge points

I am trying to dimension a drawing and specify 2 diameters at specific gauge points; however I am unable to draw these on the drawing sheet. I have tried creating a sketch over the projected view; however this is not at all accurate.

Can anyone advise a way of creating them?

Please see attached a screen shot (drawn in AutoCAD) of what I am trying to achieve.

I am using Inventor 2008.

Gauge Point Sketch.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CCarreiras
in reply to: t_sheen

"I have tried creating a sketch over the projected view; however this is not at all accurate."

Hi!

Before you hit the sketch button, first, select the view here you want to do the sketch.

If you don't select a view, the sketch will belong to the all sheet and its independent from the views

If you pic first the view, the sketch will belong at that view and associative to that view.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you! 

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 8
t_sheen
in reply to: CCarreiras

I am aware of clicking the view I want to create the sketch on, however, I cannot project any of the geometry from the view to be able to click on a specific point.

When I click line and try pick a point I cannot pick anything, only draw in fresh air.

Is there another option to use other than project geometry (which doesn’t work)?

Message 4 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

I'm doing that in Inventor 2014 and it's working well: I projected geometry from view, draw lines, points, etc and later i can use them to anchor the dimensions.

Are You using Inv 2014? Already install the Service Pack 1?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 8
t_sheen
in reply to: CCarreiras

I'm using 2008, perhaps this is not a feature in older versions?

Message 6 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

Maybe it's that, I can't tell, i've no access to this version.

My workaround:
In the solid, you can split the face to create the anchor point that you need to use in the drawing.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 7 of 8
t_sheen

I have just discovered how to do it.

When selecting the lines to project you have to right click and click "done" this then allows the geometry to be used. 

Message 8 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

Really!? In newer versions we don't need that "done"!!! (I work with inventor from 2010 version)

Cool!!! You find the way. Good job. Bye.

Regards.
CCarreiras

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report