Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAWING FILES

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
464 Views, 8 Replies

DRAWING FILES

WHen you have made an inventor dwg file is there a way to replace the file inside the drawing. I have copied and rename an assembly to another folder location and also did the same with the corresponding dwg. The problem now is that the dwg references the old file location and the old file name. is there a way to change that file but keep the same dimensioning and everything else that is on the drawing? I havnt changed the Assembly at all besides just renaming it and its corresponding parts. If there is an easy way to do this I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Do not use Windows Explorer to rename Inventor files.

Use Design Assistant or Vault.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

When I use Vault is there an option to change the name. I pressed copy design but from the looks of it it was only going to put the file with the same name into the new folder location and I do not want that.

Message 4 of 9
karthur1

@Anonymous wrote:

When I use Vault is there an option to change the name. I pressed copy design but from the looks of it it was only going to put the file with the same name into the new folder location and I do not want that.

In Vault, when you do a copy design, click the gold circle with the plus in it to change to "Copy". Copy will have a blue circle with two plus signs in it.

2015-01-21_0743.png

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: karthur1

That still does not let me change the name of the file and all of the coresponding part files. I know im missing something sorry for asking such obvious questions

Message 6 of 9
pcrawley

Start at the top of the Copy Design dialog box by completing the "Copy From" and "Copy To".  In "Copy to" select a new folder.  (Don't just type in these fields - use the "..." icon to select a folder.

When you have clicked all the files over to be the blue-with-white-cross icons (indicating "copy") you will be able to type the new file names into the "New Filename" column - which is just clipped on the edge of the screenshot in the above post by karthur1.

Note that you can right-click in this column and do useful things like "Replace" and "Replace all" - very handy for renaming an entire set of files in one go.

Peter
Message 7 of 9
karthur1

Can you show us a screen shot of what you have going on?

Message 8 of 9
rhasell

Hi

Under the mange tab, select "Replace Model Reference"

You will be able to select the new assembly, and re-link it to the new file.

replace model.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pcrawley

Peter thanks for spelling it out. That did exactly what I needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report