Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing file crashes IV.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jeanchile
339 Views, 1 Reply

Drawing file crashes IV.

Hello all,

I have filed an official support request for this but while awaiting responses I thought I would see if the smart people on this forum had any suggestions.

This morning I got to work and attempted to modify an existing drawing file per some requested changes. I figured I would open the drawing file and move some of the things around that I needed but were going to disappear after I edited the model. The end result was to remove some small items from the model and add two other small items to the model. There was some annotation in the drawing connected to the parts I was removing that I wanted to stay in the drawing file so I was editing the drawing file first. This is what happened and what I have tried since:

1.) When I went to copy a weld symbol from one view and paste it in another IV crashed.

2.) I rebooted, attempted again, IV crashed.

3.) I rebooted, attempted to add a new weld symbol and delete the other (instead of copy/paste), IV crashed.

4.) I installed the windows updates my computer was telling me I needed to install (.NET 4.5.1).

5.) I rebooted, attempted again, IV crashed.

6.) I attempted to add a weld symbol to a different drawings in a different project, success.

7.) I attempted to add a weld symbol to a different drawing file in the same project, success.

8.) I attempted the original process again, IV crashed.

9.) I attempted to open the assembly file referenced by the drawing file, success.

10.) I attempted to open a drawing file that references the same model file as well as others in a larger assembly, success.

11.) I removed parts from the assembly file that were no longer needed in the design, success.

12.) I attempted to open the original problematic drawing file, IV crashed.

13.) I attempted to open it again, IV crashed.

14.) I used pack-n-go to consolidate all of the files to upload for my support request.

14.) I attempted to open the pack-n-go drawing file on my laptop.... IT OPENED.

Now, every time I attempt to open the original drawing file on my workstation, IV immediately crashes. When I open the PNG drawing file on my laptop it works. What should my next step be?

I am afraid to go any further because this drawing file is very much needed, and so large and complicated that I do not want to just create the file again (6 sheets detailing a large tank). I also don't want to start copying and pasting the file that does work on my laptop and screw something up with the files on my workstation. And of course, this tank is scheduled to start fabrication today.

Anybody who has any thoughts, suggestions, etc. to help me make sure I get a working drawing file from this process please chime in. Thanks for the help.

Inventor Professional
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeanchile
in reply to: jeanchile

Okay, so I've tried a few new things:

16.) I opened the Pack-N-Go assembly file on my laptop and made some of the changes to the model needed, success.

17.) I opened the drawing file on my laptop to update it with the new model changes, success.

---> at this point the Pack-N-Go model/drawing is working correctly on my laptop but I need it back where it came from <----

18.) I opened the original assembly file on my workstation and made the same changes as in step 16, success.

19.) I copied the drawing file from my laptop back over to my workstation (in an effort to trick my workstation into thinking it was a different file) and attempted to open it.. IV crashed.

My thinking was that if it works on my laptop I would edit it there and then copy just the drawing file back to where it needs to be and IV on my workstation would just play along but that didn't happen. I am reluctant to copy all the files from my laptop Pack-N-Go folder back to the workstation until I hear what my support request says but I haven't heard anything from AD's tech support yet.

Anybody have anything else I can try? I'm reluctant to start the drawing process over for this tank because it took a LONG time to create.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report