Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing error

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
focon
422 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing error

Hi.

On several occasions i have encountered this dimension error. the only way i have yet found to solve this is by using Ordinate Set dimensioning. It is, as if, inventor is taking they dimensions from somewhere random on the model?

Any one have similar experience?error inv 2014.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: focon

Hi,

What version are you running?

What dimension does your model show?  Have you tried importing the dimension from your model?

Are the dimensions you are showing in your image created in the drawing?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
mpatchus

Could it be that one is a "PROJECTED" dimensions and the other a "TRUE" dimension?

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 6
focon

thank you for your advices and comment. Importing the dimensions didnt work.

but i was now determined to solve this, and did it! If, for some reason, the model has not been grounded or constraint to a plane of origin (XYZ), the dimensions on the drawing will come out as random.

Message 5 of 6
Cadmanto

No problem.

Advice for the future, I always make sure that my sketches are fully constrained for various reasons.

This be one of them!!!  If they are not constrained then one never knows what effects it will have on a model.

Something so simple can cause major headaches such as this.

Glad you figured it out.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@focon wrote:
... the model has not been grounded or constraint to a plane of origin (XYZ), the dimensions on the drawing will come out as random.

It is not random.  It is Projected rather than True.
When you place or edit the dimension right click and select True.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report