Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing archiving?????

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
466 Views, 15 Replies

Drawing archiving?????

What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's of both ways welcome. -- Jason Babinski Design Engineer Mestek, Inc. (413) 564-5844
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We use the PDF for a view copy and Pack N Go using the top level IDW and Zip everything up. Mike "Jason Babinski" wrote in message news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's of > both ways welcome. > > -- > Jason Babinski > Design Engineer > Mestek, Inc. > (413) 564-5844 > >
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

There is a bug in the program that causes values to be incorrect when you defer updates in drawings. Watch Out!! "Jason Babinski" wrote in message news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's of > both ways welcome. > > -- > Jason Babinski > Design Engineer > Mestek, Inc. > (413) 564-5844 > >
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

What values? dimensions? "John" wrote in message news:404c98b9$1_2@newsprd01... > There is a bug in the program that causes values to be incorrect when you > defer updates in drawings. Watch Out!! > > "Jason Babinski" wrote in message > news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF > > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the > > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's > of > > both ways welcome. > > > > -- > > Jason Babinski > > Design Engineer > > Mestek, Inc. > > (413) 564-5844 > > > > > >
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

PDF here. Defer Updates will give you a headache 2 years from now since the drawing still relies on the links & proper file names. PDF will always be an accurate "snapshot in time". -- Dave Hoder Product Design Engineer idX Seattle www.idxcorporation.com "Jason Babinski" wrote in message news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's of > both ways welcome. > > -- > Jason Babinski > Design Engineer > Mestek, Inc. > (413) 564-5844 > >
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

See thread - "BUG - Hole table and defer update" Who knows what else may be affected by this? I for one do not trust defer update anymore. "RMD" wrote in message news:404cb7a9_2@newsprd01... > What values? dimensions? > "John" wrote in message news:404c98b9$1_2@newsprd01... > > There is a bug in the program that causes values to be incorrect when you > > defer updates in drawings. Watch Out!! > > > > "Jason Babinski" wrote in message > > news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > > > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the > PDF > > > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in > the > > > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and > Con's > > of > > > both ways welcome. > > > > > > -- > > > Jason Babinski > > > Design Engineer > > > Mestek, Inc. > > > (413) 564-5844 > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

We use PDF. It's working great. A.D. McKisic, P.E. "Jason Babinski" wrote in message news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's of > both ways welcome. > > -- > Jason Babinski > Design Engineer > Mestek, Inc. > (413) 564-5844 > >
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

I release drgs in dwg format by email. Not ideal, but clients can manage minor updates themselves, and also put dxf's out to sheetmetal shops for blanks etc.... works for me! "Jason Babinski" wrote in message news:404c8ea7_1@newsprd01... > What is the consensus on IDW archival. Are most people using the PDF > method or are people using the Defer updates method. We are still in the > beginning stages of IDW archiving so could go either way. Pro's and Con's of > both ways welcome. > > -- > Jason Babinski > Design Engineer > Mestek, Inc. > (413) 564-5844 > >
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get a PDF?
Rgds Mick
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

PDF is the way we archive. Pack and Go for all the other stuff that other people may need to modify etc.
You can download free pdf printer drivers from acrosoftware.com (for cutePDF) and there others aswell. Once installed all you have to do is select the cutepdf printer as if you were plotting an idw, it will ask you where and what to save it as and it just prints it straight to a pdf file.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks very much. Just created my first PDF, this will change the the whole way I output & archive.
Thanks again Mick
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Just be careful. 2 years from now when you release that PDF does it reflect the current status of the part? Just have a system in place to keep the PDF's up to date when making changes.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

The way I see it working is that whenever I release a drawing I produce a PDF which includes the revision in the file name. When releasing a product to my vendor to make it shouldn't be too difficult to gather the relevant PDFs. You don't want to know the rubbish system I was trying to use which involved including the revision in the dwf file name!!
Rgds Mick
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

So the link is not completely broken ?
Is there another way to break link to idw ?

Maybe .dwf ?

regards Per
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

You can take this one step farther, move the obsolete pdfs into a sub directory. They're available for future reference but not likely to be distributed. Richard mjsargeant wrote: > The way I see it working is that whenever I release a drawing I produce a PDF which includes the revision in the file name. When releasing a product to my vendor to make it shouldn't be too difficult to gather the relevant PDFs. You don't want to know the rubbish system I was trying to use which involved including the revision in the dwf file name!! > Rgds Mick
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

We go one step further. Instead of a sub-directory, we simply rename the obsolete files using the extension (pdf in this case) for the revision (e.g. Rev 1 of a drawing would be renamed to name.001)

In this manner, it keeps pesky eyes from printing out of rev drawings. Most don't know what the .001, .002 etc.. extension stands for, and it won't open either just by clicking on it, but the CAD folks will know and it is pretty easy to rename the file if you need to print out an out of rev drawing.

Believe me, we've had our share of Purchasing, Marketing, and Production personnel wanting to get their hands on drawings and if pressed, will take anything even if it is out of rev. So, by renaming the old rev's extension, we have solved that problem, especially since most filter for pdf file types. The .001's ect won't even show.

Also, all the files are kept in the same folder so it makes it easier on those that use the files day in and day out. So if a part has say 5 or 6 revisions, it is rather easy to find the old rev rather quickly since all the files are kept in the same folders.

Just another way to scratch your itch I guess.

John Gusic
CAD Supervisor, Atlas Copco Compressors Inc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report