Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing a compound curve

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Sledge_Hammer
3028 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing a compound curve

having trouble figuring out how to draw a compound curving shape in Inventor.  Do I use the sweep function?  This shape starts out as a straight rectangular extrusion rising 7", then tilts 14 degrees to the right while also sweeping front to rear (think of the front downtube on a wheelchair as it extends up from the footplate and ends under the seat cushion).

Is there a specific plane I need to begin in then switch to other planes to draw the line the sweep is to follow?  Also, how do I change the shape as it travels along the sweep path?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Sledge_Hammer

Do you have any pictures of something similar - your pdf doesn't look correct to me.
Can you attach your ipt of what you have been able to complete so far?
Are you familiar with 3D sketch intersections and Loft?
Is this a school project?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Sledge_Hammer
in reply to: JDMather

I haven't drawn anything in the ipt format yet.  When I try all can complete is a straight tube with the large radius, but I can't get the large radius to also bend 14 degrees.

No I'm not familiar with loft.  I just started playing with this software a few weeks ago.  I like it and have been using regular 2D AutoCAD for a couple of years. 

No this isn't a school project.  It's a custom wheelchair project.  These are the downtubes that come up on either side of the legs from the footplate.  The shaded item in the drawing is the front caster bearing housing.

The closest photo I have of what I'm trying to achieve is the attached pic.  The two front tubes are what I'm trying to draw but I'll be using carbon fiber to build this one hence the change in shape to a more aerodynamic shape from the regular tube.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

What version of Inventor are you using?
Is something like attached what you are after?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Sledge_Hammer
in reply to: JDMather

yup that would be EXACTLY what I'm trying do!  **** you're good.  I've got Inventor 2011...

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

Create this sketch and then attach your file here.
(Note the R6 fillet between the lines - this fillet can be any size, but is required.)

As I walk you through this I am going to recommend that you read this document - http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report