Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draincare Spring

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sportsman1953
615 Views, 10 Replies

Draincare Spring

Inventor  offers us several options to design a coil of constant pitch with a tapering diameter.  However, I am unable to create a coil with a taper and a changing pitch at the same time.

We are using Inventor 2013. I would like to produce similar parts as the attached 2D drawings in 3D, only witha changing pitch (distance between revolutions) per revolution.  Can it be done?  There is software for the CNC spring manufacturing machines to produce such parts. Therefore the proper inputs to produce these effectively and efficiently, are available somewhere.

The part I've been describing uses .09 diameter wire and has about 54 coils in about 8 inches. The starting inside diameter is about .53" and the pitch is about .27" the ending inside diameter is .109" +/- .01 with a pitch of about .091".

Here are 2D drawings of similar parts, the last (NF3) is closest to what we need.

NF5.jpg

NF4l.jpg

NF3.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mark.Downes
in reply to: sportsman1953

Hi Sportsman 1953,

This can be done but it would need a VERY POWERFUL pc. I had to reduce the coil count dramatically

and its still over 10 meg so a 50 plus coil would be prohibitive.

If you need to show a "spring" in your assembly may be if you look at a dohnut shap revolve and a patten. (Or ask NASA for the loan of their mainframe - ha)

Hope this helps

Mark

Inventor 2013

Tapered Cutter Spring Pic 02.JPGTapered Cutter Spring Pic 01.JPG

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
Message 3 of 11
RogerMollon
in reply to: Mark.Downes

Hi Mark,

Would it be possible for you to share your ipt file, roll the EOP to the top and save it first. Smiley Wink  We'd like to benchmark it against our Beta build.  BTW, are you in the beta program?

Thanks,

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 4 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: RogerMollon

For those who are not aware:

http://beta.autodesk.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Mark.Downes
in reply to: RogerMollon

Hi Roger, heres the rolled up part model cheers Mark Inventor 2013
Cheers
Mark
Message 6 of 11
Mark.Downes

I am haveing issues uploading files again!

The file is rolled up and the size is 1.01MB

If it's not attached to this (I will try Firefox instead of IE) you can contact me direct from

my account e-mail and i will send it to you that way

thanks

Mark

Cheers
Mark
Message 7 of 11
RogerMollon

Mark,

We've got the file, I'll get back here with what we find out.

Thanks,

Roger Mollon
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 8 of 11

One of our members was able to write a program with a button appearing on the toolbar on startup.  This program worked fine with the same format as in the Autodesk existing spring button.  Any number of coils any pitch change and any diameter changes, pumped it right out..., part file was accepted in Inventor drawing, assembly and presentation files..., However, we've upgraded to 2014 and as yet I haven't been able to get it into Inventor Pro 2014.  Hope Autodesk provides something within the software soon.  Maybe, rather than fining or penalizing anyone, Autodesk would consider offering a reward to persons for their expertise. 

We've all got a job to do..., problem is..., I can't do mine proficiently without better software.  How about, less focus on the suite and more for the mechanical side of Inventor, so we can be more efficient, within just Inventor.  These items are currently in production, The software within the CNC spring making machines are able to manufacture these items, right at the machine.  Why isn't Autodesk able to, in design software.  The ability to create any number of waves on a circular face of a hub is another area that could use some focus.

Thanks

Message 9 of 11
mpatchus

Not sure why everyone's file size is so large.

I just created it (may not be exact, but it only took a couple minutes) in 2012 and the file is only 544K.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 10 of 11
sportsman1953
in reply to: mpatchus

Here again if you didn't change the pitch (greater to smaller) as the diameter changes (greater to smaller), you haven't done the project correctly.  We can easily maintain the pitch on a taper.  Also, we can easily change the pitch in a constant diameter. The project is to do both within 50 revolutions.

Thanks 

Message 11 of 11
RogerMollon
in reply to: sportsman1953

Mark - Our benchmark testing shows good results so I encourage you  to join the Beta Forum (via the link JDMather shared) where we can discuss details, can't talk about specifics of future releases here.  Smiley Sad

sportsman1953 - I hope you have described your desired features in the Inventor IdeaStation: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232.  If not, please do; other users can vote for them and our Product Managers will see the results.

Thank you,

Roger Mollon
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report