Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag'n'Drop Vault to Inventor Assy?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
gerhick
1249 Views, 13 Replies

Drag'n'Drop Vault to Inventor Assy?

Hi all,

Is there any way I can drag part/assy files from Vault, and drop them straight into an assembly file in Inventor? I'm trying to figure out a way to easily search and use our commonly used supplier sourced parts, (one that also works with our PLM system). Using the vault seems to manage things quite nicely, I can have a thumbnail, and custom fields etc, but I can't drag and drop into an assembly.

I can drag'n'drop to open a file new, but I'd REALLY like to just drop them into the assembly file.

I'll post this in the vault forums incase someone there can help too

Cheers

PointZero Design and Drafting
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Steve_Bahr
in reply to: gerhick

You can "replace" a file in your assembly via Vault Explorer.  Your constraints should remain intact the next time you open that assembly.  Just make sure the assembly is checked in first.  Does that help you?

Steve Bahr...since 1962.

Hello,

Is the Place from Vault command not a usable solution for you?

Regards,

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 14
gerhick

Steve - Sorry mate, Way off the mark there I'm afraid. Re-read the original post. I'm trying to add components to assemblies, not replace them.

Adam - Place components from vault Works for us, but you need to know what component to place before you can add it. We use PLM Managed sequential part numbers with filename = partnumber, so as you browse the files, the names don't mean anything. Unfortunately our PLM system has been developed in-house so there's no interoperability with Vault, so it can't add parts to assemblies. Vault seems to do everything i want it to do, except drag and drop into an open assembly. I can drag onto the Inventor program window (title bar) and it will OPEN the file, but I can't add it to an existing assembly.

I'll be honest, I'm quite suprised this wasn't added to the program long ago...

Where do I find the Vault Wishlist? I'll make sure I add it for 2013...

Thanks

Message 5 of 14
Steve_Bahr

No worries.  I kind of figured I might heading down the wrong path, but I convinced myself you weren't building a new assembly because, well, I misinferred your implication.  Been a long day, time to go home now.

Steve Bahr...since 1962.

I actually logged this with Autodesk Tech Support some time ago and we wanted the exact same thing. It turns out you can drag-and-drop a file onto the Inventor titlebar to open it you just can't drag and drop to insert it.... so close but yet so far away!

We were instructed to log it as a wishlist item, which we did

You can log wishlist type items here

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 7 of 14
ozitag

The place from vault command works ok. Not as good as drag and drop I must admit. But you can get a preview and select detail from the view icon and get a few details about the items. Would be good to be able to customise the columns in this view as well, then you could set it up the same as vault.

Regards,

Ozitag

IV 2010
Message 8 of 14
gerhick

Oztag - That's the beauty of using the vault to do it all. You can setup custom views so you have a thumbnail (more on this later) column, and almost any other column you like... you can filter, search, and then, you just need to be able to drag'n'drop...

Mike - Thanks for that Link, I'll get straight on it.

As for the Thumbnail, Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you go Place from Vault, the thumbnail preview is generated from the .dwf file I believe. We deleted all our dwf files, and now we don't have any thumbnail previews. However, If I turn on the Thumbnail column in Vault I can still view the thumbnails that are embedded in the file. Is this the case for everyone else?

Message 9 of 14
gerhick

Just a quick update. I submitted a feedback report earlier this morning, and I've since been contacted by 2 Autodesk guys (must be a quiet day in the office Smiley Tongue). Both just asking more questions at this stage, but nice to know they're putting thought into it.

Message 10 of 14
gerhick

Another thing worth noting.

When you drag a file from Vault, and drop it on your title bar, it opens it from a temp location (%temp%), intead of your working directory... Give it a shot, and check the file location in the iProperties, You'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Message 11 of 14
mdurst

Yes, the issue is that it puts the file in a TEMP location OUTSIDE of your local workspace, so trying to check-in your assembly will cause a BIG issue.

The funny thing is, this used to work in ProductStream 2009...

I also have numerous requests for this functionality to come back.

Message 12 of 14
brendan.henderson

Still a work around but if you find the part/assy in Vault, go to the working folder of the part/assy, you can drag the part/assy into an inventor assy.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 13 of 14
bcitrowske

I have been just copy pasting from one Assembly to my new assembly. I am sure will have some issue later on but really no Drag and Drop still its 2013.

Message 14 of 14
iqbal.lotey
in reply to: bcitrowske

A possible workaround is to drag and drop the parts into the assembly, and then use Inventor's  Vault Browser to Refresh the files.  The files will be copied into the correct workspace location and re-loaded in Inventor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report