Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

draft via sweep / loft

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
204 Views, 6 Replies

draft via sweep / loft

I've placed an IV7 assembly in the customer files area under a post titled "edges". I've posted it here because I believe more folks look in the 8 area now, so thanks in advance for indulging me. I am attempting to apply draft to a perimeter interlock feature common to plastic case parts. Since face draft won't work on them, I've tried both lofting and sweeps with failures and problems. The detritus of my attempts will clue you into what I am trying. Regarding sweeps, when they work, they tilt going around the part edge even if sketch elements of the profile are constrained to be horizontal or vertical. Any way to keep this from happening and keep the profile "upright"? Regarding lofting, IV laughs at my rails. Both 3D sketches and profiles are built on the same geometry. I've tried to project the rail elements of the 3D sketches I created for them into my loft profiles to attempt to better link the two but cannot do that. Other posts regarding lofts with rails make them seem pretty touchy. Any ideas about my situation? There are several parts in the assembly, the 401327xx are later are derived as one. 401327-07 and another numbered 302274 are the ones that mate. Thank you for checking this out. regards, Dale
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

"Regarding sweeps, when they work, they tilt going around the part edge even > if sketch elements of the profile are constrained to be horizontal or > vertical. Any way to keep this from happening and keep the profile > "upright"?" No. In your case the sweep will take its own "attitude" while it merrily tries to follow the 3D sketch. If you can get it to work at all. Also if you do a "rebuild all" on 302274-01 Inventor will come back with a lot of issues. Someone on this NG once told me to "rebuild all" frequently when making a complicated part to avoid this problem. If this is the kind of part you do a lot of, I would consider a more expensive software. Or maybe someone from ADSK or a guru will show us the workarounds to get this 10 deg "facedraft". Better yet, maybe they could take this part and make a tutorial of it. Anyway, I'll be following this thread to see if anyone comes up with a solution. I have similar problems with my parts. "Dale Dell'Ario" wrote in message news:3ff5fb9a_6@statler... > I've placed an IV7 assembly in the customer files area under a post titled > "edges". I've posted it here because I believe more folks look in the 8 > area now, so thanks in advance for indulging me. > > I am attempting to apply draft to a perimeter interlock feature common to > plastic case parts. Since face draft won't work on them, I've tried both > lofting and sweeps with failures and problems. The detritus of my attempts > will clue you into what I am trying. > > Regarding sweeps, when they work, they tilt going around the part edge even > if sketch elements of the profile are constrained to be horizontal or > vertical. Any way to keep this from happening and keep the profile > "upright"? > > Regarding lofting, IV laughs at my rails. Both 3D sketches and profiles are > built on the same geometry. I've tried to project the rail elements of the > 3D sketches I created for them into my loft profiles to attempt to better > link the two but cannot do that. Other posts regarding lofts with rails make > them seem pretty touchy. Any ideas about my situation? > > There are several parts in the assembly, the 401327xx are later are derived > as one. 401327-07 and another numbered 302274 are the ones that mate. > > Thank you for checking this out. > > regards, > > Dale > >
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Mike, Thanks for your reply. See the Steve Miles post..."Need help from sweep loft gurus". We're hoping for some sort of work around or that our tooling guy can fix it with his SW. regards Dale "MikeC" wrote in message news:3ff98ce1$1_3@statler... > "Regarding sweeps, when they work, they tilt going around the part edge even > > if sketch elements of the profile are constrained to be horizontal or > > vertical. Any way to keep this from happening and keep the profile > > "upright"?" > > No. In your case the sweep will take its own "attitude" while it merrily > tries to follow the 3D sketch. If you can get it to work at all. > > Also if you do a "rebuild all" on 302274-01 Inventor will come back with a > lot of issues. Someone on this NG once told me to "rebuild all" frequently > when making a complicated part to avoid this problem. > > If this is the kind of part you do a lot of, I would consider a more > expensive software. Or maybe someone from ADSK or a guru will show us the > workarounds to get this 10 deg "facedraft". Better yet, maybe they could > take this part and make a tutorial of it. > > Anyway, I'll be following this thread to see if anyone comes up with a > solution. I have similar problems with my parts. > > > "Dale Dell'Ario" wrote in message > news:3ff5fb9a_6@statler... > > I've placed an IV7 assembly in the customer files area under a post titled > > "edges". I've posted it here because I believe more folks look in the 8 > > area now, so thanks in advance for indulging me. > > > > I am attempting to apply draft to a perimeter interlock feature common to > > plastic case parts. Since face draft won't work on them, I've tried both > > lofting and sweeps with failures and problems. The detritus of my > attempts > > will clue you into what I am trying. > > > > Regarding sweeps, when they work, they tilt going around the part edge > even > > if sketch elements of the profile are constrained to be horizontal or > > vertical. Any way to keep this from happening and keep the profile > > "upright"? > > > > Regarding lofting, IV laughs at my rails. Both 3D sketches and profiles > are > > built on the same geometry. I've tried to project the rail elements of > the > > 3D sketches I created for them into my loft profiles to attempt to better > > link the two but cannot do that. Other posts regarding lofts with rails > make > > them seem pretty touchy. Any ideas about my situation? > > > > There are several parts in the assembly, the 401327xx are later are > derived > > as one. 401327-07 and another numbered 302274 are the ones that mate. > > > > Thank you for checking this out. > > > > regards, > > > > Dale > > > > > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I agree with Mike, though good alternatives cost no more than IV (certainly not if you value your time). My personal preference is the one that takes all the mouse clicks. But, anyway..... I put a possible approach in ivCF if you can't get anything else working. It does take some cleanup of existing features (most of which have been touched on in other threads). Best of luck with it. =============================== "Dale Dell'Ario" wrote in message news:3ff9ae3c_2@statler... > Mike, > > Thanks for your reply. See the Steve Miles post..."Need help from sweep > loft gurus". > We're hoping for some sort of work around or that our tooling guy can fix it > with his SW. > > regards > > Dale
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I appreciate the work you and Laurence did with this part. I saved both files to my hall of fame. IMO these files are much better then the average cookie cutter tutorial. Thanks "Jeff Howard" wrote in message news:3ffc57d7_5@statler... > I agree with Mike, though good alternatives cost no more than IV (certainly > not if you value your time). My personal preference is the one that takes > all the mouse clicks. But, anyway..... > > I put a possible approach in ivCF if you can't get anything else working. > It does take some cleanup of existing features (most of which have been > touched on in other threads). > > Best of luck with it. > > =============================== > > "Dale Dell'Ario" wrote in message > news:3ff9ae3c_2@statler... > > Mike, > > > > Thanks for your reply. See the Steve Miles post..."Need help from sweep > > loft gurus". > > We're hoping for some sort of work around or that our tooling guy can fix > it > > with his SW. > > > > regards > > > > Dale > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

You might want to check out the Curvy Stuff 101 & 102 turorials at this site. They were written for another SoftWare, but the PowerPoints are applicable to any freeform surface modeling.
http://www.dimontegroup.com/Tutorials.htm
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I want to thank everyone who helped in this thread and the "need help from loft and\or surfacing gurus". We received a lot of good ideas and a couple of study models\solutions from several people that deserve extra study. It's pretty obvious that while our model (mostly) worked, it wasn't modeled particularly elegantly, and that our modeling techniques were causing some of our problems. While we like and plan to stay with Inventor, it is noteworthy that, in the end, our molder was able to take our exported dumb parts and apply the needed drafts in the other SoftWare via a relatively simple face draft operation. I hope that Inventor matures to this point soon... Anybody doing these kinds of parts should take a look at both Laurence's and Jeff's models. Jeff's approach of using surfaces\splits and surface lofting to achieve a drafted rib was particularly interesting to me as it was an approach that had not and would not have occurred to me. (Jeff's model also had the side effect showing me just how out of date my 800 mHz home machine is....) Thanks again to all, once again the value of this group has been demonstrated. I hope Adesk really appreciates what goes on here. Steve Miles Olympic Medical "MikeC" wrote in message news:3ffc60f8$1_4@statler... > I appreciate the work you and Laurence did with this part. I saved both > files to my hall of fame. IMO these files are much better then the average > cookie cutter tutorial. Thanks > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums