Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt about Older-Newer Versions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
KulasekaranK
336 Views, 4 Replies

Doubt about Older-Newer Versions

Dear all,.

I have one doubt/problem,

Why majority (almost all) of 3D modeling software's does not have the option "save as 'earlier version' " like Autocad?

Because of this issue, I could not see, use files which made in Newer version,.

Is there any solution,to use the files in the same format, means without converting them into .igs, .step (I am using Autodesk Inventor 2012),.

In this discussion forum also many of the users posting in the newer version, but I could not view it,.

Thanking you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: KulasekaranK

Hi!

It´s impossible to save any inventor files to use in previous versions.

If you need to open inventor files coming from newer versions, you have to export from the newer version in step or other CAD format.

There are some tools to reconstruct the tree e.g. "Feature recognition". Find it in the Inventor Apps site.

Also you can use some direct edition tools like "Move face"

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Cadmanto

Not yet, those are your only options currently.

But there is an indea in the idea station that is speaking to this.  Feel free to cast your kudo vote for it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/save-to-a-previous-version/idi-p/3739873

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 5
mrattray

If all you want to do is view newer files, you could download the latest version of Inventor View for free.
Also, isn't there a free version of Fusion available? Perhaps you could down save from there?
There are also free 3rd party format conversion utilities. I've used them before for converting odd ball native formats to step.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 5
LT.Rusty

@KulasekaranK wrote:

Why majority (almost all) of 3D modeling software's does not have the option "save as 'earlier version' " like Autocad?

Partly the reason for this (I'm guessing) is because new functionality gets introduced with each version, which an older version wouldn't be available. 

For instance, if you had a part file made with 2014, where you'd used a self-intersecting sweep, and if - hypothetically - there was a "save as 2010" feature available, your export would fail, because 2010 isn't able to handle that sweep.  Same thing if you use (for instance) Bridge Curve, or CV splines, or several other things.  Appearances, too.  When you export to a neutral format, these restrictions go away.

This is all guesswork on my part, though.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report